Senior Accountant - Marketplaces at Leaf Group
Leaf Group is looking for a Senior Accountant - Marketplaces to help us handle the day-to-day accounting needs of our marketplace activities. This position will work closely with operations, business intelligence, production, and management on many aspects of our marketplace businesses. They must be able to communicate effectively with team members and businesses partners while using their interpersonal and analytical skills to understand the needs of the business. We want people who have attention to detail, who are committed and are eager to learn. This position is located in Santa Monica, CA.
Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach dedicated audiences in the ever-growing lifestyle categories.
You’ll Report To: VP, Controller
A typical day as a Senior Accountant might include:
- Prepare month-end close journal entries relating to revenue, AR, deferred revenue, accrued expenses, commissions, inventory, and cash.
- Day-to-day accounting processes related to cash receipt applications, cash collections, and vendor cost verification and control.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of key balance sheet accounts.
- Tackle ad-hoc projects, including deep-dive analyses as assigned.
- Work with internal/external auditors for all general ledger and SOX control related items, ensuring internal controls are properly executed and financial reports are accurate.
- Identify and lead process improvement projects to automate and streamline current accounting and reporting procedures to maximize the contribution to strategic and business goals.
- Participate and assist IT in projects which impact accounting, the financial statements, and internal controls. Assist IT in the discovery, specification gathering, development, testing, and implementation of these respective system initiatives.
- Additional opportunities in accounting functions for our portfolio of unique brands as they arise.
You’ll be successful if you are a positive, proactive accounting professional with experience handling day-to-day accounting.
What You Have:
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance preferred; CPA candidate a plus.
- Qualified candidates will have 3-5 years of progressive work experience.
- 2-3 years Public Accounting experience, GAAP Accounting experience, and experience with the general ledger close, preferred
- Meticulous attention to detail with a commitment to producing accurate and quality work.
- Tech-savvy, quick learner.
- Must show accountability, be proactive, have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Independent, self-starter with a positive attitude and the ability to multi-task, manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Not afraid to wear multiple hats - no job being too small or too large.
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. Personal accountability goes a long way. We believe we are the change.
What We Have:
- Well+Good is the 2019 People's Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
- eHow is the 2019 & 2020 People's Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
- Leaf Group is among the 2019 & 2020 Built In LA Best Companies To Work For
- Leaf Group is among Comparably's 2018 Best Companies in Los Angeles
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.