sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen, our 3,500 team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we’re committed to leaving people better than we found them. We’re in the business of feeding people, and we’re out to change what that means.
- Provide knowledge and guidance, and oversee the day-to-day activities of payroll specialist and the payroll communications team and operate as the subject matter expert of the team and escalation point to resolve issues
- Review and approve the weekly and biweekly payrolls for approximately 3500 salaried and hourly, full time and part time employees, ensuring the accuracy of data entry and adherence to state/provincial compliance
- System maintenance auditing, including, but not limited to new hire set up, taxes forms processing, local taxes, timekeeping input, direct deposit set up, benefits set up, terminations, and garnishments processing
- Reconcile 941’s and W-2s also issue W-2cs if needed with the payroll manager and ensures that all state provided tax documentation is properly handled and processed in collaboration with our payroll provider
- Work with payroll manager to maintain currency of market knowledge in payroll best practices and solutions, as well as changing compliance environment and apply these to the payroll system with partnership with the payroll business analyst to improve efficiency, effectiveness and deliver business outcomes
- Ensure timely updates of payroll records including new hires, terminations, transfers, promotions, and wage rate changes and ensure proper source documentation and approval is provided every time
- Partner with the accounting team to resolve discrepancies in the accrued payroll GL
- Provide detailed metrics per payroll, accounting for errors such as missed pays, incorrect calculations, manual checks, late submissions and label as internal/external. This is to pin point areas of improvement and root cause
- Utilize the payroll processing calendar to manage staff’s daily payroll processing functions during payroll and step in as needed to ensure all daily tasks are completed
- Act as owner, leader and/or project manager of key company payroll projects and for payroll work streams in other projects as assigned by payroll manager
- Detail oriented
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- High level of accuracy and completeness of work and able to detect inconsistencies in data
- Excellent with Excel skills, including intermediate formula building
- Proven ability to develop payroll processes and procedures
- Strong organizational and planning skills, able to work reliably and efficiently under demanding deadlines, high pressure, high volume environment and with minimal supervision
- Able to prepare and process payroll documentation accurately and in a timely manner
- Maintain confidential information when required by legal or ethical standards and professionalism to ensure privacy of employee records.
- CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) preferred
- Seven years payroll processing experience, including multi-state with high volume of non-exempt staff
- At Least 3-5 years of supervisory experience & strong people/leadership skills required
- Restaurant or retail experience a plus
What you'll get:
- Competitive pay + bonus plan granted based on performance
- Health, dental + vision insurance
- Flexible PTO, because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Our annual Impact Retreat offsite
- Free sweetgreen swag
- Complimentary sweetgreen
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.