International Assistant Controller
About This Role
At Apeel Sciences, we look to nature to help the global food system improve quality, reduce waste, and ensure an abundant future for our planet. The Accounting and Finance team strives to be an enabler of business at Apeel by ensuring that the company’s financial position is accurately reported and that we have a solid financial plan, adequate capital, and a financial strategy focused on driving long-term stakeholder value. We are seeking an International Assistant Controller who will direct the organization’s accounting procedures and initiatives for its wholly owned subsidiaries outside the US. The role is best suited for an effective leader and manager who has strong communication skills. The International Assistant Controller ensures the accounting and resulting financial statements of the subsidiaries are prepared timely and accurately in accordance with US GAAP. The International Assistant Controller collaborates and communicates regularly with accounting teams in international locations and also works with Apeel’s tax team and international third-party service provides to ensure timely and accurate compliance and filings with foreign jurisdictions.
What You'll Do
- Coordinate and manage the monthly accounting close process of the Company’s international subsidiaries.
- Communicate regularly with accounting teams in international locations.
- Prepare and/or review account reconciliations as well as files supporting the G/L balances of the subsidiaries.
- Ensure proper US GAAP accounting treatment for intercompany transactions and account balances.
- Prepare and/or review journal entries for the subsidiaries.
- Coordinate with Apeel’s tax team, internationally-based accounting teams and third-party service providers to ensure proper VAT and related filings and other compliance with foreign jurisdictions, including review of statutory filings.
- Maintain the chart of accounts for the Company’s foreign subsidiaries.
- Assist with the monthly consolidation of the Company’s financial statements.
- Help establish, implement and document internal control systems and processes.
- Work with the Financial Planning and Analysis team to facilitate management reporting.
- Work with Apeel’s accounting team to prepare and/or review audit schedules and fulfill requests from Apeel’s external auditors.
- Participate in the development and documentation of policies and procedures.
- Identify areas for workflow process improvements, provide recommendations and execute on the changes.
- Perform other duties and ad-hoc projects as assigned.
- Review and reconciliation of inventory at international locations with amounts sourced from intercompany transactions
What You Bring
- 8+ years of corporate accounting experience with progressively higher levels of responsibilities, including management of finance personnel
- Solid knowledge of US GAAP and regulations, familiarity with IFRS preferred
- Interpersonal communication both in person and with teams in international locations
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to handle multiple priorities and set/meet deadlines
- Attention to detail and problem solving
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Being a change agent and helping lead and manage the organization through continual changes
- Documentation skills
- Experience with international operations preferred
- Professional certification (e.g. CPA) is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or other related field. An equivalent combination of relevant education and applicable job experience may be considered.
- Excel experience required.
- QuickBooks experience a plus.
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.