We are looking for a Global Controller based in Santa Monica to grow and lead our accounting team across our international markets. As Tala operates in a unique segment of the fintech industry and across emerging markets, this isn’t your typical accounting position. This role will require practical problem-solving skills and a balance between big-picture strategic thinking and a willingness to roll up sleeves and dive into the details, as the Controller will play a key part in both our operations and decision-making. This role will report directly to our CFO and will be responsible for helping drive Tala’s strategic initiatives in complex environments as the business continues to scale globally. The Global Controller will identify risks, work across our Data, Credit, and Engineering departments to find operational solutions, and continue to grow and develop the accounting team. We need a self-starter and entrepreneurial-minded individual who has a strong technical background and a maniacal focus on execution and results. The ideal candidate will bring strong leadership skills and technical expertise along with acute analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the global accounting organization, ensuring scalability of the team and determining ideal team structure
- Project manage complex, global accounting initiatives across both internal team and external advisors
- Drive continuous improvement and innovation of global accounting processes to ensure consistency, accuracy, and efficiency of day-to-day accounting activities
- Improve speed and quality of monthly close and reporting cycles
- Support company’s strategic initiatives by providing tax and accounting evaluations of new products and/or market entry
- Drive global tax strategy and compliance
- Identify and evaluate risk areas across the business, and strengthen internal controls, updating corporate policies and procedures as needed (e.g. invoice processing, cash management, and expense policies)
- Ensure compliance with all government / statutory reporting, audit, and tax requirements
- Work closely with FP&A and Capital Markets team to support team in reporting, budget and forecast processes, and monthly variance analysis
Who You Are
- An exceptional team builder who is passionate about team development, and knows how to develop strong trust and communication across global offices and throughout the entire organization
- Passionate about our mission to offer access, choice, and control to the global underbanked population
- Intellectually curious; a person who questions assumptions and challenges the status quo
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field.
- 4+ years experience as Controller or equivalent.
- CPA + Public Accounting + Corp Accounting
- Strong US GAAP and technical financial reporting experience; ideally have experience with multi-currency accounting and managing multiple entities
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills
- International experience -- particularly in emerging markets -- with an understanding of IFRS; a person excited about working with a diverse team across different time zones and about the related international travel to our unique markets.