As Controller, you'll oversee all aspects of Aspiration’s financial well-being by managing our corporate finances. This will include accounting for multiple entities, including a foundation, running external audits, handling corporate taxes, and financial planning. You’ll work closely with Aspiration’s CEO and team leads (Operations, Growth, Technology & Product) as well as key external stakeholders, including our Board of Directors, regulatory bodies as well as key commercial partners, in order to establish and maintain financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting to ensure the soundness of the Aspiration entities.
You have proven success in a fast-paced and demanding accounting role. You’re comfortable taking full ownership of our corporate books and records. You’re excited to jump in at every level of the accounting function from oversight of the daily Quickbooks entries to high level tax and compliance planning. You make the world of complex finance digestible while maintaining an eye for detail. You’re engaged in reviewing, challenging and improving the accounting practices and policies as the company scales.
You will be responsible for:
● Owning the monthly, quarterly and annual financial close and reporting package
● Weekly reconciliation of cash accounts and upkeep of journal entries
● Developing departmental structure and ensure that revenues and expenses are coded correctly and abide by GAAP.
● Ownership of the company’s financial compliance framework to ensure accounting, regulatory and tax compliance
● Ensuring continued adequacy of the company’s financial systems environment, technology stack (e.g. G/L system incl. A/P and Procure to Pay process) as well as critical IT controls
● Developing and maintaining a framework of relevant accounting policies and procedures reflecting the underlying economic realities of the business
● Producing monthly, quarterly and annual sets of financial statements for the registered broker dealer entity as well as the holding company
● Continuously aligning the financial reporting framework with core business process across the entire organization
● Overseeing the audit of the parent company and assisting with the audit of subsidiary
● Assisting with onboarding of new employees and on-going management of payroll.
● Managing bills to be paid via our bill pay vendor, ensuring that all bills are paid on time. Correspond with contractors, partners and vendors as needed to manage accounts payable.
● Working with the CEO and advisor to assist with the preparation of annual budgets and quarterly forecasts
● Ensuring that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting that reflect the underlying operating nature of the business as well as its operating risk profile
● Understanding of all necessary tax filings for parent company so that minimal outside tax engagement is necessary. Maintain federal, state and local registrations and filings as needed. Look for new opportunities within the evolving tax code. (i.e R&D credits, etc) and ensure optimized attributes for start-up losses vs. operating tax loss carry forwards.
● Assisting FinOp and CCO with management of transactions between parent company and broker dealer subsidiary.
● 4+ years in public accounting and/or high growth companies (Big 4 preferred)
● Prior experience as Audit Manager or Controller
● CPA designation
● Thorough understanding of US GAAP
● Attention to detail and desire to have accurate, timely and meaningful reporting
● Experience and comfort working with Quickbooks
● Experience with financial system upgrade and implementation
● Experience and familiarity with audit of financial companies, investment funds or broker dealers preferred
● Work for a mission-driven company with a goal of transforming the lives of millions by building a better financial firm
● Significant, non-microscopic equity
● Comprehensive medical, vision, dental benefits
● Work in sunny Marina del Rey