Director, Strategic Planning & Analysis at Apeel Sciences
Strategy at Apeel
Strategy serves as a strategic nerve center for Apeel, receiving and processing signals to guide leadership and promote decision making that is rooted in systems thinking. Strategy treats each Apeel department as an individual customer for whom it provides ongoing and project-based support. This support includes deep research, analysis and ultimately insights which inform and affect business strategies and activities. Through this self-similar support model to all departments, Strategy monitors, interprets and helps strengthen the health and effectiveness of each department and the workflows between departments in an effort to improve overall system performance – and ultimately achieve our company goals and promote our mission in a manner that embodies our shared values.
Strategic Planning & Analysis
Strategic Planning & Analysis (“SP&A”) is a key functional unit within the Strategy team and serves as a resource for better understanding our business and driving informed decision making across the organization, from high-level company planning to team-specific operating initiatives. Drawing from qualitative and quantitative research and analysis, SP&A serves as Apeel's analytical "Swiss-army knife" to deliver actionable insights to support commercial efforts and ongoing company activities.
About This Role
The Director of Strategic Planning & Analysis (SP&A) will oversee the activities of Apeel’s US-based SP&A team; bring strategic leadership and expertise for the successful management of the SP&A function and the effective realization of the SP&A charter; refine and guide the SP&A functional strategy and contribute to the continuous improvement of scalable organizational policies and practices; take ownership of team outcomes; and make final decisions on technical, operational, or administrative matters to ensure achievement of functional goals.
The Director will engage with leadership across the organization as well as externally. This position requires both strong analytical and people skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize a portfolio of strategic initiatives, motivate and develop a growing team, deliver creative and effective solutions to complex problems, and present analyses to large groups while influencing key stakeholders.
What You’ll Do
- Establish perspectives to guide our commercial strategy which are supported by strategic thinking and data-driven models. This will be highly collaborative and cover many aspects of the business, such as:
- opportunity assessment and prioritization
- value-based pricing, business models and go-to-market strategies
- sales growth, planning and customer success
- geography-specific initiatives
- competitive intelligence and strategies
- supply chain and operating models
- risk assessment and business continuity
- organizational effectiveness and continuous improvement
- long-range business planning
- Partner with Strategy subgroup leadership (Sustainability and Corporate Development), Strategy business partners, and leadership from across Apeel divisions to plan SP&A-led or supported initiatives to realize company goals and/or achieve KPI targets
- Lead the activities of the US SP&A team to maximize the output and impact (i.e., quality) of functional contributions organization-wide
- Continuously improve organizational efficiency by streamlining workflows and automating processes through the use of business systems
- Develop the SP&A team in line with the expertise and principles of the Strategy and SP&A charters
What You Bring
- 10+ years of strategy experience with increasing levels of responsibility – ideally in a fast-paced technology driven field
- Bachelor’s degree with significant coursework in finance, accounting, economics or other closely related fields. MBA preferred
- Functional expertise in strategic planning, including the application of systems thinking, creative problem solving, and critical thinking to improve decision making and business outcomes
- Experience with function ownership and success leading/managing teams with multiple stakeholders and large portfolios of active initiatives
- Exceptional analytical and qualitative skills, with a knack for solving ambiguous and unstructured problems
- Ability to synthesize massive amounts of information into clear insights and communicate simple narratives (orally, visually and numerically) which bring alignment and inspire action
- A proactive, adaptable and solution-oriented mindset
- Dedication to training and mentoring a team
- Desire to work in a fast-paced highly collaborative team-based environment
- A passion for technology and its implications for creating a better world
- Fluency in English
- Willingness to travel (locally, regionally, internationally) ~ 25-33% of the time
Apeel believes that the scale of our impact is determined by the teams that work with us. As such, we seek to build high-performing teams of people from various experiences and backgrounds who can collectively push our company into new realms. We seek a diverse pool of applicants and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, Veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status. If you have a special need or disability that requires accommodation, please let us know.
Please note that Apeel Sciences does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event of a recruiter or agency submitting a resume or candidate without a signed agreement being in place, we explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire such candidates without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted directly to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Apeel Sciences.