Director of Accounting, GL & AP at NEXT Trucking
Headquartered in “Silicon Beach” El Segundo, CA -- NEXT is a company driven by a commitment to providing world-class service to shippers and truckers alike. We’re on a mission to solve a trillion-dollar puzzle and offer painless freight.
Armed with experienced professionals from Amazon, Google, Facebook, Snap, and Salesforce, NEXT is seeking change agents who are excited to make a meaningful impact on an industry driving the U.S. economy. Forbes included us on its 2019 Next Billion-Dollar Startups list, and we’ve been recognized as one of Built in LA’s Best Small Companies to Work For and 50 Startups to Watch. NEXT is venture-backed by leaders such as Brookfield Ventures, GLP and Sequoia Capital.
We are passionate entrepreneurs, creative thinkers, and decision-makers who will transform the freight transportation industry with modern technology. We create delightful product experiences that enables freight to move effortlessly, solving complex problems for our shippers and carriers. We collaborate with some of the best designers, engineers, and business partners to achieve our goals.
Are you NEXT?
About The Role:
As the Senior Manager of Accounting you are eager to get your foot in the door at a fast-paced, rapidly growing startup. You'll work directly with our Controller to support daily operations inside our accounting organization. You'll focus on process improvements, streamlining operations, taking charge of AP and the GL and managing the people within the department. You'll also support ongoing audits, drive progress in ambiguity, and manage cashflows with reporting (ie Excel and dashboards).
What You'll Do:
- Conducting month-end, quarter-end, and year-end closings and reporting and performs high-level inquiries/reviews as necessary to ensure accuracy and consistency of reported data.
- Consolidating financial data from various IT systems into the GL and performs detailed reconciliations to ensure accuracy and completion of data transfers. Maintains GL structure.
- Preparing journal entries as required.
- Researching and document US GAAP technical memos.
- Preparing year-end US GAAP financial statements and footnotes.
- Managing and interacting with external auditors as needed.
- Managing AP team, including overseeing vendor onboarding, purchasing rate change, invoice approval and processing, invoice payment, and 1099 issuance.
- Managing GL team, including overseeing the close, maintaining the GL Structure, approving and reviewing reconciliations and journal entries.
- Monitoring and documents internal control business processes and update flow-charts and SOPs.
- Working closely with the FP&A group helping teams track their budget-to-actual spending.
- Providing support as needed to department and business managers.
- Performing special projects as assigned by Controller.
- Up leveling our financial reporting and chart of accounts.
- Defining and documenting description of what expenses are coded under each general ledger accounts.
- Improving our departmental reporting at scale to enable our stakeholder teams to move fast and make high ROI decisions.
- Rolling out spending authorization and approval policies, as well as allocations for cross-department spend.
- Supporting improvements in NetSuite and NEXT proprietary operational systems integration and reporting improvement projects.
- Resolving high-priority issues rapidly and effectively.
What You'll Need:
- 12+ years of experience in Finance or Accounting roles.
- Experience launching or managing ERP.
- Knowledge of department-level reporting and allocation.
- Ability to excel in a dynamic work environment as an early member of a growing organization.
- Ability to break down high-level business problems into concrete analytical solutions.
- Superior organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent communicator that can flow across a wide range of partners.
- Ability to prioritize workload and manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Trucking or logistics background.
- Experience with SQL and R/Python.
- Strong math background.
- Experience at a top
What You'll Receive:
- Competitive Base Salary + Bonus + Equity
- Full Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- 401k w/ company match
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Dog-friendly open office
- Join a rapidly growing technology company disrupting the trucking industry