Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented Weld Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup.
This position will support manufacturing and development of Relativity’s launch vehicles. This position will help develop, qualify, and optimize internal welding designs and processes including gas tungsten arc welding, gas metal arc welding, orbital tube welding, plasma arc welding, laser beam welding, electron beam welding, and friction stir welding. You will be responsible for helping implement proper tooling, process controls and procedures as we scale up our production needs.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Our mission is to change the people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As a Weld Engineer, you will have a direct effect on how our rockets are built—on a day to day, you will help develop and implement new manufacturing processes and procedures on a variety of flight components, assist in optimizing and automating our processes, and come up with new and innovative ways to join materials.
The candidate will come from an environment where they have demonstrated both hands on and theoretical understanding of a variety of welding processes to produce high quality welds. Ideally, this candidate will also have experience operating mechanized or robotic welding equipment. This role is extremely collaborative— the candidate will be working with all teams from design, production, materials, NDT, and operations. Verbal and written communication skills are key.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in welding engineering or welding technology.
- 5+ years experience hands on manufacturing experience.
- Experience as a weld expert or weld engineer in the Aerospace industry.
- Knowledge of Gas Tungsten Arc Welding, Gas Metal Arc Welding, and Plasma Arc Welding.
- Experience with AWS D17.1 and other similar NASA welding specifications such as EM30.
- Extensive experience with welding aluminum and achieving high quality welds.
- Experience with welding stainless steel and nickel-based alloys.
- Diagnose weld defects and suggest corrective actions, both in repair and process optimization.
- Make recommendations on general part design based on limitations of the process.
- Understand weldment blueprints and symbols.
- Collaborate with other technicians and engineers to develop welding parameters that meet part requirements.
- Design and develop new internal welding procedures and oversee vendor welding as well.
- Stay up to date with the latest welding technology and determine how to phase in new technology.
- Implement welder certifications process.
- Support MRB actions by guiding appropriate staff in correct repair or corrective action.
- Fit, form parts, and clean parts as required and setup welding equipment in preparation for welding.
- Finish parts with various hand tools.
- Visually inspect own work to verify weld quality.
- Excellent trouble shooting and problem solving skills, including suggesting appropriate modifications to welding equipment to improve the process.
- Knowledge of other metal fabrication processes—grinding, cutting, machining.
- Be able to maintain and clean and organized work area.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience with arc additive processes.
- Robotics experience.
- Experience with additive manufacturing software packages.
- Weld tooling design experience.
- Familiar working with x-ray technicians and other NDT personnel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.