VP of Engineering at Convoso
Convoso provides omnichannel contact center software which dramatically increases customers' contact and lead conversion rates. Our mission is to create innovations that enable contact center owners to hit performance metrics that they never thought possible. We are dedicated to customer success and have a proven track record of delivering outstanding results that drive more engaged call center agents and boost margins and profits. Convoso’s industry leading predictive dialer with superior recycle logic—combined with lead management automation—empowers outbound contact centers to move more leads through the funnel faster. With our virtual agent, customers can pre-qualify leads using a real human's voice, but without human interaction. We consider our customers to be our partners and work hand-in- hand with them to achieve maximum results, having a direct impact on our customer’s growth from head count and all the way to revenue and profits.
Convoso is achieving robust growth in the SaaS space and looking for a motivated, experienced technology leader to take on the role of VP of Engineering.
Executive Responsibility: Oversees the Engineering Organization, including development and quality
Reporting Relationship: Reports directly to the Chief Product Officer / Co-Founder
Position Location: Woodland Hills, CA
The Vice President, Engineering will report directly to the Chief Product Officer, and will be responsible for leading the engineering organization. This role will manage engineering development, quality and a team of 10, with the mandate to build to 20 plus in the next 12 to 18 months. As a key member of the Senior Management Team, this executive must provide the leadership and direction necessary to maintain the focus and drive of an exceptionally bright and technically diverse team, and to continue the organization’s evolution.
The Vice President, Engineering will actively contribute to the overall company strategies, as well as the daily business decisions. He/she is a mature and confident executive. This is considered a key management position with respect to input to the corporate direction setting efforts of the Executive Team.
- Fully engage and contribute to the Executive Team. Bring functional expertise/leadership, sound judgment and knowledge in helping to set strategic direction, challenge plans/assumptions and lead a results-oriented organization. Actively contribute to the achievement of the company’s goals, mission and vision.
- Garner the credibility and respect of the strong technical team in place and peers across the organization.
- Recruit, guide, mentor and coach a talented engineering organization and rely on their technical expertise in driving strategy and execution. Develop high-potential contributors to assume greater future responsibilities. Help drive the strategy to recruit high performing engineers and partner closely with Talent and HR on strategies to retain them.
- Establish key metrics for measuring team and individual productivity, and benchmark results against industry standards, identify specific team challenges and prioritize improvements within your first 90 days. Set clear expectations and vision for the engineering organization, setting and tracking goals and by soliciting, synthesizing, and delivering feedback to team members.
- Drive accountability with clear goals and objectives, evaluate, evolve, and scale the team practices within your first 6 months.
- Develop a strong understanding of customer needs and establish operational standards to exceed customer satisfaction.
- Reinforce a culture that promotes open communication, innovation, rewarding people working together and achieving excellence. Foster an environment where people have a sense of pride, loyalty and belonging. Ensure excellence in development by fostering an environment of fearless engagement, emphasizing a balance between speed and quality, while encouraging healthy conflict and raising the red flag when risks arise.
- Cross functionally collaborate to drive strategic company growth initiatives. Regularly communicate broadly across the organization to ensure all employees are aware of progress against key initiatives and ensure expectations are well managed. Is approachable and highly visible throughout the organization. Set clear expectations and vision for the engineering organization, setting and tracking goals and by soliciting, synthesizing, and delivering feedback to team members.
- Responsible for developing and implementing the strategy for development, processes, tools and metrics. Foster a culture of innovation and promote engineering best practices across teams while ensuring that the correct processes are in place and followed.
- Work with other functions to understand business drivers, product requirements and competitive issues that may impact and translate into detailed design and development plans. o Partner with the Product Team to ensure customer-focused roadmap development,
and on objectives that the engineering team can effectively deliver.
o Collaborate with and leverage the Chief Architect as a technical advisor/mentor to understand and evolve product lifecycle initiatives from concept to execution.
o Work hand in hand with our Technical Operations Team to drive the continuous
evolution of our SaaS platform without sacrificing availability or quality.
o Partner with the Product Management and User Experience teams to ensure
customer-focused roadmap development and on objectives that the engineering team can effectively deliver.
- Current Director or VP level executive managing a team of 10 to 20 in development and quality.
- Deep experience building platform software at scale within high growth SaaS environments. Successfully planned and delivered products to market through the full product lifecycle, from strategy creation (creation of product roadmaps) to new introductions, enhancements and end of life.
- Deep knowledge of a variety of different technical stacks and a strong knowledge of networking technologies, systems architecture, programming, and design/implementation of SaaS products.
- Has been a key contributor to driving revenue. Bottom- line oriented, budget-conscious, metric/measurement driven.
- Worked at both leading software blue-chip companies where he/she developed best practices, and later had success at emerging growth software companies.
- Demonstrated success partnering with other functions. Ability to collaborate cross functionally.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Understands and conveys complex product requirements or technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences ranging from C-level stakeholders to individual contributors.
- Customer Savvy. Brings deep customer experience to the organization and understands that continued success requires high customer satisfaction and customer retention. Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations and needs.
- Strong experience with agile software development processes and understands techniques and tools to drive successful projects and deliverables. A positive if can “get hands dirty with coding from time to time.”
- Metrics-driven, hands-on management style with the ability to dive deep when needed.
- Builds and leads world-class teams. Strong recruiting (attracts talent), people leadership & management experience. Leads by example, creating a sense of energy, ownership, detail orientation, collaboration and personal commitment to the work. Superior organizational and planning skills. Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing best practices.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred, yet career achievements and recent track record are more critical than paper qualifications.
The successful Vice President, Engineering will be both strategic and tactical, willing to roll up his/her sleeves and jump into the fray as required. This executive will be confident; will possess strong influence management and persuasive skills; must enjoy engaging in healthy debate and discussion. Also, this executive must have a strong-action orientation with the ability to keep progress and momentum moving at an aggressive pace.
At interview and through cross-references candidates will be evaluated for the following attributes/personal characteristics:
- Entrepreneurial. Has the “risk-reward profile” for an emerging growth company.
- Understands the importance of being a consensus builder yet recognizes the need to make the decision. Willing to raise, make hard calls in service of the business.
- Inspires others. Shares passion for vision, culture, and opportunity.
- Results-oriented. Focuses on delivering results not the activity.
- Data-driven. Ability to analyze complex data and develop innovative recommendations and solutions.
- Excellent planning, organizing, and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels and across diverse cultures.
- Ability to be an effective team member and manage various projects.
- Collaborative. Ability to assist in facilitating progressive change. Builds partnerships and ensures shared success.
- Accountable. Owns and keeps commitments.
- High Integrity!
Some perks of working at Convoso:
- Competitive compensation package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401 (k) employer match program
- Gym membership reimbursement
- A team of highly experienced colleagues
- Casual office environment
- Fully stocked kitchen (vegetarian-friendly)
- Catered family lunches together (Every Friday)
- Monthly Massages
- Your birthday off