Vice President, Engineering
Greater LA Area
Are you a product-focused technology leader who’s passionate about building teams? Do you love the challenges and potential found in scaling a growth-stage technology company? If you’ve spent years building software for web and mobile applications, you’re familiar with managing a suite of consumer and business facing products, and you love collaborating with your partners in Product and Design to build a sustainable business that solves real customer needs, then we might just have the perfect opportunity for you.
About the Team:
At ChowNow, we’re passionate about serving the needs of over 8,000 restaurants to help them compete in an increasingly technical world. Our team works on products focused on restaurant clients and their diners (who transact over $1,000,000 daily on the ChowNow platform).
We believe positive relationships make our team able to do more with less. You will collaborate, learn, teach, and experiment with new approaches to getting big things done together.
Our team is located in the Playa Vista neighborhood and tech hub of Los Angeles — 5 minutes from both the beach and the freeways. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too. We’ve been named a Best Place to Work, have been certified as a Great Place to Work, and have a whole bunch of happy employees on Glassdoor.
About the Position:
As our VP of Engineering, you will be accountable for building the team and culture, ensuring accurate product planning, and delivering effective execution. You will put your engineering background to work by leading direction for the entire stack: from the responsive and beautiful frontend through our AWS-based services infrastructure. Most importantly, you will build a culture where people are motivated to do their best work while being excellent to each other.
This position reports to our Chief Product Officer and directly manages our web, mobile, QA, backend, and infrastructure teams.
As the VP of Engineering, you’ll work from our Los Angeles Headquarters to build and promote practices within the engineering organization that will promote accountability, scalability, stability, and continual improvement to support our suite of products.
Specifically, you will:
- Lead all major architectural and strategic decision making, both short and long term, while also guiding the engineering team to work through implementation details for immediate execution.
- Work with Product and Design to introduce multiple product implementation teams (aka squads, sprint teams, etc.). Get your hands dirty allocating engineering resources, estimating work effort, and enabling multiple simultaneous sprints across products.
- Represent ChowNow’s Engineering brand both internally and externally -- attracting talent and building awareness within the local and nationwide tech communities.
Within 30 days, you'll..
- Complete the ChowNow New Hire Ramp Camp (our onboarding experience).
- Immerse yourself with every department at ChowNow (attend three weekly Departmental meetings -- CS, RS, Sales).
- Spend 2 days in the field with Outside Sales team.
- Observe 2 product demos with Inside Sales team.
- Spend time individually with every person in Engineering.
- Begin leading weekly one-on-one sessions with your team.
- Open Engineering roles required to support the next 6 months of product development.
- Work with our Recruiting team to design the engineering interview structure, interview candidates, and co-own lead generation activities (e.g. tech talks, recruiting fairs).
Within 90 days, you'll..
- Organize the Engineering team into a high functioning, collaborative team of specialists (web, mobile, QA, backend, and infrastructure).
- Understand how PCI compliance and security impacts all of our internal processes.
- Develop a clear technical strategy and roadmap to support our 12-18 month product vision.
- Establish and monitor your team’s performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, and set objectives using ChowNow’s OKR framework.
- Work with Product leadership to document and implement the development process for new products and features.
- Fill three critical Engineering roles.
Within 6 months, you'll..
- Create the team infrastructure to manage multiple Product launches simultaneously.
- Launch third product category.
- Write two articles about Technology, Leadership, or Design.
- Lead quarterly Industry Trend presentations.
- Fill remaining roles identified to fill within first 30 days.
Within 12 months, you'll..
- Launch fourth product category.
You Should Apply If: (Minimum requirements)
- You have at least 8 years of experience building web and mobile software applications.
- You have hands-on full-stack software development experience. You've designed and built architectures supporting responsive web clients from desktops down to mobile phones. (Nice to have: You're equally comfortable working on the back-end or front-end and building APIs.)
- You have deep experience working within at least three different technology organizations and can speak to the pros & cons of structuring engineering teams in different ways.
- You’ve worked in tech at both large companies and startups. You love the organizational challenges of building for growth-stage companies and value the stability of a solid business model.
- You have a passion for team building and a track record of fostering high-performing engineering teams, giving them the guidance, structure, and care they need to write great code in an unbeatable working environment. Culture is paramount to you.
- You enjoy getting to know the motivation and ambitions of your direct reports, and you’ve been successful coaching them to do their best work. You know what’s needed to bring motivated juniors onto the team.
- You know how to partner with Product and Design to build compelling products on schedule.
- You care about the quality and details of the products you create and measure success by the love that customers have for your product.
- You’re a fan of rapid iteration and experimentation, and you prefer to break work down into meaningful chunks that allow our teams to learn. You yourself have a track record of trying and learning new things, and even sometimes failing along the way.
- You’re a results-minded leader who knows how to capitalize on the diverse strengths of people around you to succeed.
- You have a point of view but are low ego. You humbly acknowledge and learn from your mistakes.
- Nice to have: Executive leadership experience on a team of 40-50 engineers supporting a SaaS product.
- Nice to have: Experience with mobile device management or exposure to managing internal distribution of devices.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- Open Vacation Policy; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- Six weeks of fully paid primary parental leave and two weeks secondary leave.
- Employer contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
Read Full Job Description