Turbopump Assembly Technician at Relativity Space
Relativity seeks a highly talented Turbopump Assembly Technician to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the Propulsion Manufacturing team. We are responsible for assembling and testing engine components prior to final engine integration. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution in the development of the Terran 1 launch vehicle, as well as helping to build a world-class manufacturing team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Turbopump Assembly Technician, you will develop the process to balance our fuel and oxygen turbopump rotors. You will also assemble turbopumps, check clearances, cut shims, and reassemble in a clean environment. You must be able to write a process plan, develop your own tooling and fixtures, and collaborate with design engineers to optimize your assembly process.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to rocket turbopumps. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for:
- Someone who can operate precision rotor balancing equipment (Schenck soft-bearing balancing machine or similar)
- Someone with experience assembling precision-machined turbomachinery, including impeller interference fits.
- Someone who can both execute and optimize a process.
- Someone with strong communication skills, desire for growth, and willingness to collaborate with design engineers on a regular basis.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 3+ years of experience in rotor balancing and turbomachinery assembly
- Strong communication skills and ability to understand work instructions
- Ability to balance high-speed Inconel rotors to tolerances of less than 0.1 gm/in.
- Ability to assemble and perform clearance/fit checks on precision-machined turbomachinery.
- Experience operating manual machining equipment and working with pressurized fluid systems
- Ability to train other technicians how to execute a process
- Experience transitioning a process from first article to production
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of experience in rotor balancing and turbomachinery assembly
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.