Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Turbomachinery Manufacturing Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the Turbomachinery team. We are responsible for designing, manufacturing, and testing the fuel and oxidizer turbopumps for the Aeon engine. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution to the development of the Terran 1 launch vehicle, as well as helping to build a world-class turbomachinery team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Turbomachinery Manufacturing Engineer, you will own and develop the processes for building our turbopumps at both the individual component and assembly levels. You will be the main point-of-contact between the production and engineering teams as we scale our throughput from development to production quantities.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to rocket turbopumps. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for:
- Someone who can work with design engineers and technicians to develop specifications for turbopump rotor balancing, proof, clean, assembly, and final check outs.
- Someone who can collaborate closely with design engineers, machinists, and DMLS vendors to streamline production of turbopump hardware.
- Someone who understands CNC machining and dimensional inspection and can work with stakeholders to minimize processing times of precision-machined turbopump hardware.
- Someone who understands GD&T, and can collaborate effectively with design engineers to make their parts easily producible.
- Someone who can make their own tooling drawings, and perform simple machining tasks on manual equipment.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 3+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with non-conformances, and how to work with engineering to correct them
- Strong knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack-up
- Strong communication skills, and ability to write work instructions and process plans
- Ability to work with and train technicians to execute to new work instructions
- Ability to apply value stream mapping to optimize a production process using both internal resources and external suppliers.
- Ability to work with external machining suppliers to get parts made quickly.
- Knowledge of machining (5-axis, 3 axis, lathe) and associated inspection techniques
- Knowledge of turbopump assembly procedures, including rotor balancing, interference fits, clearance checks, structural proofing, and leak checks.
- Knowledge of powder-bed additive manufacturing
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 5+ years of relevant experience
- Ability to operate a lathe, 3-axis mill, and grinder
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.