Thermal Hardware Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are looking for a Thermal Protection System (TPS) Hardware Engineer to join the vehicle structures team and help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket to space.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown, you will be responsible for bringing flight thermal protection from design concept to physical implementation ready to launch. The scope of work encompasses a full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, manufacturing and testing of components providing the Terran 1 launch vehicle with necessary ablation and/or insulation protection.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Full design cycle of thermal protection for Fairing, Raceway Covers, Thrust Structure & Tanks, as well as acoustic treatment for Fairing.
- Review of aerothermal load inputs, material properties, and thermal systems & subsystems requirements.
- Develop and support TPS materials test campaigns to ground analysis and flight hardware sizing.
- Hands-on manufacturing process development, including tools or fixtures required to manufacture and integrate the flight thermal hardware.
- Build strong relationship with vendors or supplier of thermal protection material or products.
Your mission will be to deliver on time and budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our vehicle design, test and loads teams, as well as our additive and manufacturing teams.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who is self-motivated, thrives in ambiguity, and is able to lead his or her own projects to completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects with extreme ownership while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
On a weekly basis, you will be designing hardware using NX/TeamCenter, performing analysis and/or validation testing, releasing drawings, and supporting sourcing and fabrication of your components. Your designs will be closely integrated with our additively manufactured structures and optimized for minimal mass, cost, and schedule. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and champion your recommendation when decisions are needed.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in a full cycle engineering role including design and manufacturing.
- Working knowledge of structures strength, stability, analysis and manufacturing.
- Fundamental knowledge of thermal protection materials, analysis, testing and manufacturing including bonding and material compatibility.
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 7+ years of aerospace experience and an advanced engineering degree.
- Extensive experience with NX/TeamCenter.
- Extensive experience with TPS design, sourcing & fabrication in space application.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.