Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented thermal engineer to help achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket. The successful candidate will demonstrate an excellent understanding of launch vehicle thermal and fluid systems. This position is ideal for aerospace engineers looking to make a broad impact in a small, high-performance team.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
As a member of the rapidly growing vehicle engineering team at Relativity, you will have a hand in all aspects of understanding and designing the thermal aspects of the Terran 1 launch vehicle.
Projects and responsibilities would include:
- Define thermal environments for Terran 1 systems, components, and payloads using empirical, experimental, and analytical approaches as required
- Work with a small engineering team to design thermal and fluid systems from conceptual design through flight
- Build analysis tools that enable Relativity’s vision of iterating full vehicle designs in 60 days
- Guide and mentor responsible hardware engineers to ensure that subsystems meet requirements
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead their own projects to completion. You are experienced in delivering effective output without sufficient input. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with a broad technical team.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate degree in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- Expertise in industry-standard thermal tools such as Sinda Fluint, FloCAD, and Thermal Desktop.
- Aerospace vehicle program experience from concept through V&V or certification
- Experience solving complex problems on flight vehicles
- Proficiency in an engineering scripting language, such as MATLAB or Python
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Graduate degree (MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 10+ years relevant experience
- Experience with cryogenic fluid systems
- Experience with launch or hypersonic vehicle thermal protection systems and CONOPS
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.