Team and Role Overview:
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets. We have an ambitious mission, and we understand that it takes a team to achieve it. This is why we are growing and looking for team members to join us that feel just as excited and driven to accomplish something that has not been done before, together.
We are looking for a Structures Design Engineer to join the team and help us prove that this technology is the future. You will play an integral part in designing, operating, and troubleshooting all of the test stands at our Long Beach manufacturing facility.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
To support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown, you will be responsible for bringing structural test stands from design concept to full operational readiness. The scope of work encompasses a full design cycle, including conceptualization, design, analysis, fabrication, and operation. These test stands range from benchtop fixtures for actuator testing to multi-story steel towers for stage testing.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Design and analysis of steel weldments capable of applying test loads to a variety of hardware
- Creating drawings and work instructions for the assembly of a brand new 3d printed part into a test stand
- Writing and executing test day procedures
- Supporting design and data reviews of flight structures
Your mission will be to complete these projects on time and budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our Additive, Design, Test, and Loads & Dynamics teams.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who enjoys hands-on work, thrives in ambiguity, and is able to lead their own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
On a weekly basis, you will be designing components using NX/TeamCenter, performing analysis using Nastran, ANSYS and/or hand calculations, and conducting operations in the test yard. You will brainstorm new ways to accommodate the speed and flexibility of our additive manufacturing methods. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work and provide your recommendations in technical discussions.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
- 2+ years of experience in a full cycle design engineering role and a Bachelor’s degree in related discipline
- Working knowledge of structural analysis and test (from hand calculations to advanced analysis)
- Fundamental knowledge of structures strength, stability and fatigue failure mechanisms
- Fundamental knowledge of additive and traditional manufacturing processes
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Experience with NX/TeamCenter
- Experience using Nastran and ANSYS
- Demonstrated record of timely project completion
- Experience in time critical operations (test operations, launch operations, stage management, pit crews, etc.)
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.