Team and Role Overview
The Manufacturing team at Relativity Space pulls together the efforts of all other design, additive, vehicle and manufacturing teams to deliver flight-ready vehicles for test and launch. To meet our goals, we will design for manufacture and build best in class manufacturing, test, and quality control processes to keep our team moving fast while still producing high quality, well understood products. The Structures Manufacturing Engineers will be responsible for taking primary structures from the Additive Development team and manufacturing them into Integration-ready structures assemblies. The scope of work includes printed assembly design for manufacturing, part logistics, post-processing, trim/drill operations, joining operations, and mechanical assembly operations.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Own a major structural assembly and its child components from printed structure to Integration—lay out the build flow to ensure an efficient, high-quality product flow capable of scaling with time.
- Drive the assembly’s first manufacturing effort through design, integration, assembly sequencing, mBOM development, and build work order creation.
- Identify, plan, prioritize, and/or design the tooling required to achieve the desired production demand.
- Work closely with external parts and process vendors to design and build parts designed for manufacturability.
- Establish the assembly’s station within the inaugural work cell by considering assembly operations, tooling and capital equipment requirements, and rate targets.
- Assist with developing the business tools and processes that will be used to manufacture the first launch vehicle. In parallel, help to define and pilot the long-term ERP, MES, and QMS solutions that will enable high-quality, efficient vehicle manufacturing.
- Develop strong working relationships with both Engineering and Additive Development teams to ensure all company objectives can be met.
- Leverage software and automation to rapidly build hardware while maintaining an accurate record of the as-planned and as-built configurations.
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering degree and have 3+ years of related experience, ideally in an aerospace manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated experience working cross-functionally to build large scope first article assemblies, resolve complex manufacturing issues, and meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset toward simple design solutions, quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. You’re a tinkerer but also a self-starter who can balance and prioritize daily tasks that contribute to short and long term company goals.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience building hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- Extensive experience authoring work instructions to build structural assemblies.
- Experience with design for manufacture and building a first article assembly.
- Experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Expert in at least 2 of the following: welding, trim and drill operations, LOX cleanliness, mechanical fastening and torqueing operations, mating operations, lifting, tool design and fab, NDT, subassembly build, etc.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Experience developing user interfaces for manufacturing execution.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.