Structures Manufacturing Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets. We have an ambitious mission, and we understand that it takes a team to achieve it. This is why we are growing and looking for team members to join us that feel just as excited and driven to accomplish something that has not been done before, together.
We are looking for a Manufacturing Engineer to join our vehicle structures team and help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket to space.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To support our mission of changing people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown, your responsibilities will include the following:
- Develop, validate and improve in-house and external manufacturing processes capable of scaling to meet future Terran 1 launch vehicle demand
- Work with design engineers to develop, evaluate, and improve designs and manufacturing methods using knowledge of material properties, machinability, welding, assembly methods, and quality control standards
- Resolve manufacturing challenges or issues by implementing root cause corrective actions
- Create and maintain hardware build schedules
- Identify, plan, prioritize, and/or design the tooling required to achieve the desired production demand
- Work closely with external parts and process vendors to design and build parts designed for manufacturability, utilizing knowledge of additive manufacturing where beneficial
To be successful in this role, you hold a relevant engineering degree and have 5+ years of related experience, ideally in an aerospace manufacturing environment. You have demonstrated experience working cross-functionally to resolve manufacturing issues and meeting production demand. The ideal candidate has a strong mindset toward quality, root cause analysis, and implementation of reliable and productive processes. You’re a tinkerer but also a self-starter who can balance and prioritize daily tasks that contribute to short and long term company goals.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of relevant manufacturing experience and an undergraduate or graduate degree in a related engineering discipline
- CAD and CAM software experience with understanding in application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Demonstrated experience with metal manufacturing methods such as machining, additive, welding, precision cleaning and NDT for aerospace products
- Demonstrated ability to determine root cause and implement corrective actions
- Demonstrated ability to develop, document, and communicate build instructions
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 7+ years of experience with spacecraft, launch vehicle, and/or aircraft structural systems
- Foundational knowledge in metallurgy
- Expert experience in machining & welding
- Expert experience in tooling
- Extensive experience with NX
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.