Structural Analysis Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
At Relativity, we reimagine the way rockets are built and flown. We are looking for a Structural Analysis Engineer to join the vehicle structures team and help us achieve our ambitious goal of launching a 3D printed rocket to space.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To support our mission of changing the way rockets are built and flown, you will be performing structural analysis of critical flight components such as stage Thrust Structure, Propellant Tanks, Interstage or Fairing to name a few.
Here are some examples of projects you could be working on:
- Innovative conceptualization of load path and design guidance for complex structures
- Review of static & dynamic load inputs, material properties & test as well as structural systems & subsystems requirements
- Analysis and sizing of flight primary structures to ensure timely design reviews and drawing release
- Support of hardware test campaigns with predictive and correlation analysis
- Creation of automated design and analysis tools to improve the team’s efficiency
- Resolve novel structural problems through analysis and test support
- Build finite element models for use in static and dynamic simulations
Your mission will be to deliver these projects on time and budget. In order to achieve this, you will be working closely with our additive, design, test and loads & dynamics teams.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who is self-motivated, thrives in ambiguity and is able to lead his or her own projects into completion. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with other key groups.
On a day to day basis, you will be performing analysis working with pre- and post-processors and solvers including FEMAP, Nastran, ANSYS, ABAQUS, and ANSA/META, as well as performing hand calculations and basic CAD modeling in NX to support the analysis needs. Your analysis will be optimized for our additive manufacturing methods, for which fundamental knowledge is crucial. You will also use your strong organizational skills to properly document your work.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 3+ years of experience as a structural analyst and a bachelor’s degree in engineering, math, physics, or other relevant technical discipline
- Skilled in structural analysis from hand calculations to advanced finite element analysis
- Working knowledge of test including development of test cases, loads, test hardware, instrumentation plans, test vs. flight comparisons, and model correlation
- Fundamental knowledge of structures strength, stability, and fatigue/fracture failure mechanisms
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of aerospace experience and an advanced engineering degree
- Experience using FEMAP, Nastran, ANSYS, ABAQUS, ANSA/META, and NX/TeamCenter
- Experience with structural static and dynamic analysis
- Fundamental knowledge of Additive Manufacturing
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.