Stage Responsible Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
At Relativity, our competitive edge comes from the cost and lead time advantages afforded by radically simple designs using 3d printed parts. In order to execute on those advantages, we need strong technical leaders to make sure we are making the best use of our capabilities, and strong project managers to make sure we are controlling cost and executing as quickly as we can. As a Stage Responsible Engineer, you will be responsible for bringing the technical and programmatic aspects together to develop and deliver complete rocket stages. You will report to the Vehicle Responsible Engineer.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
The Stage RE’s mission is to integrate the stage subsystems, qualify stage designs and deliver flight ready rocket stages to the launch site for integration on a schedule that supports the program’s goals. To achieve that, you will establish and maintain a schedule incorporating the subsystem development and delivery plans. You will also establish stage level development, qualification and acceptance test plans and work with the technical teams to be prepare for and execute those tests. The Stage RE needs to have good technical breadth since you will need to help identify any gaps in subsystem designs or how subsystems will work together. Your experience and judgment will be important to help the team avoid dead ends and keep moving as fast as possible. As a technical leader, you will also help build the engineering teams by hiring exceptional candidates.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be a technical leader with experience developing and fielding a complex system involving fluid systems, structures and mechanisms, and avionics and software. Strong project management skills are crucial--you should know how to adapt as plans change or the project hits setbacks to minimize schedule impacts and keep the team bought into the plan.
Ideally, you are a person who understands complicated problems and can communicate them to multidisciplinary teams clearly and concisely. Given that we are depending on your technical abilities including judgment, you should have experience in launch vehicles or a very similar field. Hands on integration experience is important to help the team design for easy integration and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
Minimum Requires Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant experience.
- Direct experience developing and fielding a complicated subsystem that involved mechanical hardware and interfacing electronics and software
- Experience working with interdisciplinary teams in a technical leadership capacity
- Project management experience on a multidisciplinary project with many diverse stakeholders
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience with integrated testing of rocket stages and/or launch operations
- Project management experience in a matrix organziation
- Experience through the full life cycle of a single project, from idea through execution
- Management experience including recruiting and hiring and performance management
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description