Staff Software Engineer at Guild Education (Greater LA Area, CA or Remote)
At Guild, we believe talent is everywhere and that opportunity should be too. We continue to have our home and headquarters in Denver, but we have embraced a distributed model of working to reach the best talent in the United States. While some roles may require proximity to our Denver office, roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 28 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, and WI. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
- Nurture A Learner’s Mindset - using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and development areas
- Build Shared Success - building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Be an Owner - holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Create Belonging - recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to our company
Guild is seeking a Staff Engineer for our Payments Pillar to build features, design and implement APIs and headless data processing, and improve the reliability of our systems as we scale our product.
We build our systems using tools such as Python, Postgres, Serverless, and GraphQL on the AWS cloud platform. Experience with those are a huge plus but familiarity with other languages, API protocols, and databases work for us! We look for engineers that build with a focus on quality, simplicity, reliability, and scalability.As a Staff Engineer, you will:
- Design, build, and own new services and infrastructure.
- Create code that is understandable, testable, and shared across teams and partners.
- Lead engineering efforts, share knowledge, and provide feedback within and across multiple teams and partners.
- Shepherd engineering initiatives within the payments pillar and liaise with engineers across the broader engineering org.
- Deliver on time and be accountable to multiple teams and partners.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- Excellent cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to operate independently and manage time effectively
- Expertise in several (or all!) of these tools: Python, Node, Postgres, GraphQL, Serverless, Github, Github Actions, Cloudformation
- Expertise building and owning multiple services and APIs from inception to production, including design and modeling, coding stories, IAC and CI/CD pipeline implementation, and integration testing and automation, all with a focus on non-functional concerns such as observability, scalability, and performance
- Deep cloud platform expertise with an emphasis on AWS-specific solution design, implementation, and deployment
- Strong understanding and leadership in architectural best practices and patterns, emphasizing domain-driven data modeling, denormalized data models, and event-driven architecture
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment
- Passion for higher education and our mission
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market driven, including a base salary range of $185,000-$218,750, as well as company stock options.
At Guild, we unlock the talent and economic potential of America’s workforce for employees and their companies. We partner with the nation’s largest employers—including Walmart, Chipotle, Discover, Hilton, Macy’s, Target, and The Walt Disney Company—to create cultures of opportunity that help them attract and retain top talent, while building the workforce of the future from within. By using our proprietary Career Opportunity Platform to develop education and learning programs that work in the real-world, thousands of employees at those companies have gained the skills, knowledge, and guidance they need to build a brighter future for themselves and their families—all without paying for tuition or career services on their own.
Guild is female-founded and a certified B Corp. The company has been named to the TIME100 Most Influential Companies of 2022 list, CNBC Disruptor50 list three years in a row, Inc. Best Led Companies list, Fast Co. World Changing Ideas list and the B Lab Best for the World list among many others.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- Open vacation policy for employees to rest and recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 12 weeks of parental leave for non-birthing parents and 18-20 weeks for birthing parents; 4-week ramp-up period for when employees return from a leave of 6 weeks or more; as well as employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, fertility and caregiving benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including free and low cost mental health resources and financial wellbeing support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth
Guild requires COVID-19 vaccines for all employees and guests attending Guild events or entering Guild offices. As of February 1, 2022, we will be expanding our in-person vaccination requirement to include booster shots. We will be using both Clear’s Digital Vaccine Card and state-sponsored vaccine passports to verify proof of vaccine. Accommodations or exceptions can be requested for medical or religious reasons.