Sr Mechanical Engineer at NBCUniversal (Greater LA Area, CA)
Each day Universal Studios Hollywood creates unforgettable experiences for our guests from around the world. We bring to life the ultimate Hollywood experience with our real working movie studio and heart-pounding rides, shows and attractions that put you inside some of the world's most popular movies and TV shows. USH offers something for everyone from thrill seekers to movie lovers to family fun for all ages. Our Team Members are passionate individuals who create memorable moments whether it's on the studio lot, or in our conference rooms, theaters, or kitchens. We believe in the talent of our team members. It's our passion and commitment to excellence that drives our business to succeed in everything we do across the park. We believe in a culture of family and fun, here you can make a difference and build your career!
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal's commitment and how we are making an impact .
The Senior Mechanical Engineer provides engineering support for existing and new theme park attractions (rides and shows). Duties include complex downtime investigation and troubleshooting of ongoing issues, reverse engineering and redesign, and other engineering tasks as required to ensure daily operational readiness of attractions. Additional duties include complex re-design and development efforts for mechanical / structural systems of theme park rides and attractions to provide increased reliability and operational improvements. Development of some projects will require basic management of outsourcing services, third party consulting, contracts, and scheduling of work.
All work shall be in conformance with ASTM F24 Committee guidelines and compliant with applicable codes, regulations and standards including: AISC, ASME, ASTM, ANSI, AWS, JIC, NEC, and OSHA, among others.
This role has exposure to multiple different ride and show systems spanning multiple decades, each with its unique fun and challenges.
This role has a 5-day workweek onsite. Offsite work may be allowed with prior approval from the Engineering Manager. The role may include additional nights and/or "weekends" only when necessary.
- Responds to day-to-day sustaining engineering calls and troubleshoots recurring design or maintenance issues.
- Performs re-engineering efforts for Attractions including complex mechanical, structural, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems.
- Produces scope of work for capital design projects and manages progress from design through installation.
- Develops and oversees project schedules and budgetary demands.
- Monitors and interfaces with vendors/design-builders to resolve problems and design issues.
- Prepares and reviews equipment specifications and performs technical evaluation of vendor products/services.
- Oversees mock-up, prototype, installations, test and adjustments of show and ride systems.
- Coordinates engineering activities between vendors, engineers, ride and show management, and technicians.
- Provides project status updates on assigned task list items to the appropriate ride manager and engineering manager.
- Interfaces between Central Shops and the Mechanical Engineering group to address their engineering needs.
- Helps improve existing engineering procedures and develops new procedures as needed.
- Acts as mentor for associate level engineers.
- Maintains configuration management of project documentation in accordance with Engineering's guidelines.
- Develops and conducts Acceptance Test Procedures on mechanical systems. Reviews other engineer's ATPs.
- Partners with Universal Creative in the development of new Attractions. Review designs attend design review meetings and support on-site installation and testing.
- Reviews Engineering Change Notice (ECN) forms and contents for accuracy and compliance with internal and external regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Required On-Site: This position is required to be performed full-time from an NBCUniversal-designated worksite.
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $105,000.00 -$125,000.00 ( bonus eligible).
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering required. Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Minimum 7 years mechanical/structural detailed design experience associated w/ dynamic motion systems/components.
- Minimum 3 years project engineering experience in mechanical/structural systems in a large machine environment.
- Proficient analytical skills to perform engineering calculations for design, test, and implementation of mechanical systems.
- Proficient background in design of welded structures, beam elements, welded joints, structural steels, gearing, composite materials, manufacturing, and fabrication processes.
- Proficiency in hydraulic and pneumatic design, and familiarity with components.
- Proficient knowledge and logical approach to problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities of mechanical and structural systems.
- Proficiency in mechanical drawings, Solidworks, AutoCAD and technical documents.
- Strong experience in the generation of component and mechanical system specifications, acceptance test procedures, failure and effects analysis, scopes of work, installation procedures, training procedure, technical and maintenance manuals.
- Strong knowledge in servo controls as applied to hydraulic, pneumatic, and electromotive motion control systems.
Knowledgeable in AWS, ANSI, and ASTM (especially F24) standards.
- Experience in the design of safety critical systems.
- Ability & willingness to work overtime, weekends, and holidays with short notice
- Theme Park Operations knowledge and experience
- California Certified Professional Engineer (PE)
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of employees and management, and willingness to give assistance to co-workers in other areas. Strong team player.
- Strong interpersonal and analytical skills
- Strong time management skills
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible
- Experience in a union environment
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.