Sr. Cyber Engineer at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking a Sr. Cyber Engineer to join our team in the Cyber Engineering Department (CED). CED provides expertise in security policy, requirements, assessment, integration, research, and technology to address cyber threats through cybersecurity techniques, risk, threat and vulnerability assessments, active countermeasures, and cyber resiliency. This role will provide technical support and leadership in support National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) activities, security architecture, engineering, and researching cyber solutions for Aerospace internal and external customers. The scope of the activities includes segments of space systems spanning multiple functional areas including strategic and tactical military satellite communications and ground network systems. Projects require collaboration with program offices, government agencies such as National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), National Security Agency (NSA), Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), etc., other FFRDCs, and contractors, providing project leadership, mentoring junior engineers, and developing future projects.
- Research and maintain knowledge of Information Assurance (IA) policies and practices.
- Assess and understand the security vulnerabilities and mitigations in various SW and HW designs.
- Awareness of Wireshark to review files and possibly read Packet Capture (PCAP) files (not dynamically inject traffic)
- Update sets of requirements as technology evolves.
- Review test evidence and perform requirement analysis.
- Knowledge of NIST 800-53 security controls to ensure system implemented and operating as intended during all phases of the information system life cycle.
- Support risk assessment and evaluation activities throughout the Assessment and Authorization (A&A) accreditation process Experience working with the risk or cyber security frameworks.
- Experience with standard technical security safeguards and security controls.
- Provide input to the development process which will include Information Security planning, design, test and analysis.
- Provide research and analysis of Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) and Government-Off-The-Shelf (GOTS) and IA-enabled products as part of the security architecture and ensure products are compliant with the Committee on National Security System Policy Number 11 (CNSSP-11) and validated via the National Information Assurance Partnership (NIAP) Common Criteria Evaluation and Validation Scheme (CCEVS) or National Institute of Standard (NIST) Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) Cryptographic Module Validation Program (CMVP).
- Learn the CCEVS validation process and participate in product validations adhering to that process that ensure conformance to a collaborative Protection Profiles and allowed Modules or a NIAP-approved Protection Profile and Modules.
- Participate in projects involving one or more of the following areas: Cyber Resilience, Cloud Security, Software Assurance, Internet of Things (IoT), Cyber Physical System (CPS), Program Protection Planning (PPP), risk and cybersecurity frameworks, cyber system trade-off studies for various system designs or protocols.
- Support the development and validation of security policy, governance processes, and requirements.
- Perform system security engineering to advise various DOD programs on cybersecurity, information assurance, risk identification and mitigation.
- Work with customers to understand and integrate cyber emerging technologies.
This position can be located in El Segundo, CA, Chantilly, VA, or Greenbelt, MD.
Required for Sr. Cyber Engineer
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science, Cyber Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related technical discipline
- 12 or more years of experience in systems engineering of information assurance or cyber security systems
- Must possess a strong working knowledge of Information Assurance concepts, to include General Information Technology (IT) system functions and documented security policies and best practices.
- Strong written and oral communications and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Active and current Secret security clearance.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Cyber Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or related discipline.
- CISSP Certification
- Experience with secure software development processes
- Experience securing high level complex systems such as Data Centers
- Project management experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to interact well with customers, other government agencies, FFRDC staff and contractor personnel.
- Active and current Secret security clearance, with the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SCI clearance.
Ways We Reward Our Employees
During your interview process, our team will provide all the details of our industry-leading benefits and career development opportunities. A few highlights include:
- A work environment built on teamwork, flexibility and respect
- Professional growth and development programs to help advance your career, as well as tuition reimbursement
- Variable pay program for exceptional contributions
- Comprehensive health care and wellness plans for your entire family
- Flextime and virtual work options (if applicable)
- 401(k) Savings Plan featuring a company match, regardless of whether you contribute
- Paid holidays and paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Relocation assistance (if applicable)
We are all unique, from diverse backgrounds and all walks of life, yet one thing bonds all of us to each other—the belief that we can make a difference. This core belief empowers us to do our best work at The Aerospace Corporation.
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.