Space Range Senior Project Engineer at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Special Programs Division (SPD) supports our US Space Force customer, SMC/Special Programs Directorate, in the development, delivery, operations, and sustainment of unrivaled space control capabilities to guarantee space superiority for our nation. Examples include the Geosynchronous Space Situational Awareness Program (GSSAP), the Space Based Space Surveillance Program (SBSS), and the Counter Communications System (CCS). While executing this important and exciting mission area, SPD seeks your expertise and is committed to be a diverse and inclusive organization that offers opportunity for professional development and personal growth for all our staff members. We push the edge of technology and ensure warfighter capabilities can be executed as an enterprise to outpace the threat.
The selected applicant will be the Aerospace representative on a team modernizing the Space Test and Training Range (STTR) and its subsystems. The STTR is a space electronic warfare range that provides live, virtual and constructive environments in support of system test and operator training for space superiority systems. The work location is embedded within the government program office, so there is frequent interaction with the government and support contractors. This Aerospace role will also interface with contractors that are building, integrating and testing these systems.
- Provide systems engineering expertise in support of the Space Test and Training Range (STTR), live virtual constructive environments and multi-range integration projects.
- Specific tasks include providing systems engineering and mission assurance oversight for the program software and hardware architectures, system and external interfaces.
- Apply systems engineering expertise and experience in support of system requirements development, agile software development, capabilities prioritization, risk management, requirements verification and change management.
- Support milestone and readiness assessment activities across these programs.
- Assist in the integration of new capabilities into multiple systems to provide innovative test and training scenarios.
- BS in engineering, mathematics or physical sciences
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant technical experience that must include systems engineering experience
- Experience with at least one DoD ground or space program
- Clear written and oral communications skills
- Ability to work and interact effectively with the Air Force, SETAs, other FFRDCs, and prime contractor personnel with minimal supervision
- Experience with Air Force and Space Force acquisition and systems engineering methodologies
- Willing to travel domestically approximately once a month to visit contractor facilities and support testing
- This position requires a top secret clearance, which is issued by the US government. US citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- Ability to obtain additional security clearances
- Advanced degree in engineering, mathematics or physical sciences
- Experience with Aerospace mission assurance processes
- Experience with programs within Special Programs Division of the Space and Missile Systems Center
- Experience with radio frequency systems, range systems or verification and test
- Experience in the space superiority mission area
- Current SSBI and SCI clearance is highly desired