Space Program Operations Chief Engineer at The Aerospace Corporation
- In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The Aerospace Corporation is seeking a chief engineer for the space segment across the Space Systems Group (SSG) reporting to the Space Program Operations (SPO) Vice President. The role of the SPO Chief Engineer is primarily to identify and help resolve common/systemic issues, technical and organizational, across the SPO portfolio as well as provide general assistance as needed. Driven by both technological advancements and the development and deployment of threat systems, this position evolves with the needs of both customers and the organization.
- Lead the identification and coordination of common technical approaches and positions across the enterprise for the space segment
- Lead the evolution of SPO mission assurance practices for greater efficiency, effectiveness, and agility. Coordinate with launch, ground and other space segment efforts across the corporation, as well as Engineering Technology Group (ETG) and Corporate Chief Engineer's Office (CCEO) to ensure identification and promulgation of best practices
- Identify and champion opportunities to promote enterprise integration and interoperability such as data standards across all domains, and increased commonality and principles of CPA
- Monitoring and guiding the successful deployment of digital engineering solutions for acquisitions
- Identify the need for and lead cross programs teams in multiple functional areas
- Recommend and guide SSG internal investments to position the organization to meet strategic goals
- Champion and guide the workforce transition from traditional waterfall acquisitions to agile methods, and DevSecOps approaches for both software and hardware
- Assist in the transition to new acquisition models and approaches and to enterprise integration
- Represent the organization’s interests to the prime contractor industrial base and influence the community to meet emerging customer needs
- Lead engagements in Aerospace technical community outreach events, via paper presentation and panel participation
- Mentor more junior personnel, identifying growth opportunities and providing coaching
- Bachelor's degree in an appropriate technical discipline from a recognized institution
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written with an ability to work with entry level staff to seniors in the Space Force and the industrial base and all levels in between
- Proven ability to prepare and present effective presentations to all levels of audiences, within SSG and other Aerospace organizations
- Ability to effectively engage a diverse technical organization's SMEs and close on complicated technical issues with credible rationale and supporting documentation
- Capacity to team and collaborate with SSG leadership and project engineers across the corporation
- Capability to synthesize complex information from several sources simultaneously
- Aptitude to create teams across the group, and influence actions in multiple program lines
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret/SCI clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- 15 or more years of progressively responsible experience in an appropriate discipline
- Advanced relevant degree
- Diverse background across multiple disciplines such as systems engineering, software engineering, acquisition lifecycle activities
- Successful experience supporting a space program
- Familiarity with the SPO portfolio
- Proficiency executing the Aerospace Mission Assurance process
- Ability to create teams across the group, and influence actions in multiple program lines
- Current Top Secret/SCI clearance
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.