Software Engineer at The Aerospace Corporation
In an era of dynamic change in space, Aerospace is addressing a generation of complex challenges. We operate the only federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) committed exclusively to the space enterprise. Our technical experts span every discipline of space-related science and engineering. Join our team and thrive in a career that matters to the world and you personally.
The multidisciplinary team of the Embedded Control Systems Department develops high-fidelity launch vehicle and spacecraft closed-loop hardware and software testbeds, and real-time embedded software for picosats and other emerging technologies. This technical expertise is also relied upon for independent analysis and testing of embedded control software for a wide range of launch vehicles, spacecraft, and other systems. The department is at the forefront of innovation with a healthy Independent Research & Development (IR&D) portfolio covering robotics, autonomous and cooperative systems, and distributed embedded systems.
The candidate will use software engineering skills to write code to test flight software, perform launch support configuration and analysis, and support launch vehicle simulations. As part of launch support, the software engineer will perform static analysis of flight software to identify potential bugs and violations of requirements. The candidate will use their software engineering expertise to facilitate the development of novel technologies in the fields of robotics and automation.
- Use DevOps best practices for design, test, and release of software programs
- Use object oriented techniques to develop new code and optimize existing code bases
- Assist in the development of novel robotics and automation technologies for space vehicle systems
- Perform static analysis of software to identify bugs and potential performance issues
- Carry out launch support activities by verifying flight software deliveries against requirements
- Collaborate with other team members to build test platforms, embedded, and robotics technologies
- Use continuous integration/continuous build techniques to ensure projects follow agile techniques
- Debug complex software systems and identify underlying issues
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field or equivalent
- Minimum 1 year of experience with C++ and Python
- Knowledge of DevOps lifecycle development practices
- Working knowledge of Continuous Integration/Continuous Build software development
- Strong background in object oriented design methodologies
- Working knowledge of software debugging tools (i.e., gdb)
- Minimum 1 year of experience using version control systems (subversion, git)
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, which is issued by the US government. U.S citizenship is required to obtain a security clearance.
- 3+ years of experience with C++ and/or Python
- Experience with static software analysis methods
- Experience in the aerospace industry, particularly flight software analysis and/or development
- Proven record of software architecture design
- Familiarity with robotics and autonomous systems
Equal Opportunity Commitment
The Aerospace Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We believe that a diverse workforce creates an environment in which unique ideas are developed and differing perspectives are valued, producing superior customer solutions. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, color, religion, genetic information, marital status, ancestry, national origin, protected veteran status, physical disability, medical condition, mental disability, or disability status and any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. If you’re an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran who needs assistance using our online job search and application tools or need reasonable accommodation to complete the job application process, please contact us by phone at 310.336.5432 or by email at [email protected]. You can also review The Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the supplement, as well as the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.