Senior Thermal Engineer
THE PURPOSE:The Power Electronics division is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing the electrical power components in every part of the Hyperloop system. These components include variable frequency drives for propulsion and levitation, energy storage systems, cable assemblies, and the associated control hardware and control algorithms. We are seeking a senior thermal engineer at our Los Angeles facility to join our diverse, experienced team in designing power electronics and battery systems for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth.
THE ROLE:The Senior Thermal Analyst/Engineer will:
• Be responsible for ideation of thermal architecture and management strategies for high-end switching products, power electronics, batteries, and associated equipment
• Be responsible for numerical and analytical modeling of heat transfer phenomena in power electronics and battery assemblies including oversight of all thermal analysis performed
• Define thermal design requirements and required product regulatory compliance testing
• Interface with systems team to ensure overall system architecture is in sync with battery and power electronics requirements including studies of impacts and temperature margins to support system design
• Develop test plans and analyze data to validate numerical and analytical thermal models
• Work with internal teams and external vendors to establish thermal requirements, ensure timely completion of functional hardware, and facilitate project partnerships
• Brief design and analysis materials to senior customer personnel on significant technical matters, often requiring coordinated activity across organizational lines
• Provide mentorship, oversight, and ensure quality of work of junior engineers in basic and advanced thermal engineering concepts.
The candidate must have practical engineering experience in thermal design. They must be able to develop simple design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment.
In addition, the Senior Thermal Analyst must possess the following characteristics: • Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
• A learner: you’re always eager to learn new skills; faced with a new challenge, you apply considerable research skills and diligence to figure it out, though you’re humble enough to ask for help when needed.
• Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
• Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
• Experience developing a product from concept to production
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• B.S. in mechanical engineering or related discipline and 6+ years experience OR M.S. in mechanical engineering or related discipline and 4+ years experience• Minimum of 4 years of direct professional experience in thermal design and analysis of electronic equipment using a multiphysics simulation package such as Icepak, FloTHERM, FLUENT, StarCCM+, etc.
• Strong knowledge and experience in the fundamentals of FEA and CFD (meshing, convergence, etc.)
• Thorough understanding of heat sink design, heat pipes, fans, blowers, TIMs
• Ability to read mechanical system schematics
• Ability to do thermal validation with equipment such as data acquisition systems, air flow chambers, and environmental chambers
• Thermal analysis or design of battery packs (high voltage preferred)
• Aerospace thermal architecture
• Thermal analysis of consumer electronics or control or electrical components
• Experience with pure water or high voltage DC liquid cooling systems
• Structural Static/Vibration analysis experience with complex systems
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.