Senior Structural Engineering Analyst
The Electromagnetic Systems division is responsible for the design and development of the Hyperloop Propulsion Motor, Levitation, and Guidance Systems. These systems are all electromechanical in nature and are designed by a highly cross-functional team of exceptional engineers in the areas of Electromagnetics, Mechanical Design, Heat Transfer, Materials Science, Testing, Controls and Embedded Systems, and Electrical System Modeling. We are seeking candidates with broad skillsets and various levels of experience to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work on one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth, from right here at our Los Angeles facility.
The Senior Structural Engineering Analyst is responsible for:
• Setting up FEA models for propulsion and levitation in Ansys
• Defining all the applicable load cases and failure criteria
• Performing static and dynamic (implicit or explicit) FEA
• Working closely with thermal engineers to set up FEA models for coupled thermo-mechanical problems
• Post processing of the FEA results and creating documents and presentations
• Work closely with Design Engineers to enhance the design of EM systems
• Work closely with test engineers to define the required experiments to validate and verify the model and systems
The candidate must have product engineering experience in structural analysis. They must be able to conduct extensive analyses for complex problems and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
In addition, the candidate must possess the following characteristics:
• Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
• Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
• Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
• Experience developing a product from concept to production
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• B.S. in Mechanical/Structural Engineering or related discipline
• Strong background in mechanics of materials, statics, dynamics, vibrations, materials, failure
• Sound knowledge of finite element method (basics and fundamentals of FE method is a must)
• Familiar with metals and plastics and their behavior at elevated temperatures
• Proficiency in Ansys, Abaqus or NASTRAN
• Proficiency in MATLAB
• Excellent project management experience
• Thermo-Mechanical analysis
• Ability to perform hand calculations on the fly
• M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical/Structural Engineering or related discipline
• Knowledge of fatigue and fracture mechanics
• Analysis of electric motors with impregnation or encapsulation
• Analysis of electro-mechanical systems
• Topology Optimization
• Design of Experiments
• Experience with molding (mold flow analysis)
• Experience with composite modeling
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.
We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.