Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space. We have an ambitious mission, and we need the world’s best team to achieve it.
At Relativity, our competitive edge comes from the cost and lead time advantages afforded by radically simple designs using 3d printed parts. In order to execute on those advantages, we need strong technical leaders to make sure we are designing and building the best possible vehicles. As a Stage Development Engineer, you will be responsible for bringing technical and operational elements together to develop and deliver complete rocket stages. You will report to The Principal Vehicle Engineer.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
The Stage RE’s mission is to deliver tested, flight-ready rocket stages to the launch site in record time. To accomplish this, you will work with hardware owners in every discipline to participate in subsystem design, ensure smooth integration and plan vehicle testing. You will identify and drive vehicle trades to decisions, and you will help build the resulting hardware. Your experience and judgment will be essential in identifying disconnects and helping the team avoid dead ends. As a technical leader, you will also help build the engineering teams by hiring exceptional candidates.
You should be a technical leader with experience developing and fielding a complex system involving fluid systems, structures and mechanisms, and electronics and software. You should also be a strong project manager who knows how to adapt as plans change or the project hits setbacks to minimize schedule impacts and keep the team bought into the plan. You will have to deeply understand complicated problems and communicate them to multidisciplinary teams, so clear thinking and strong communication skills are important. Hands on integration experience is important to quickly troubleshoot issues as they arise and effectively feedback suggestions to hardware designers.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- A degree in engineering or physical sciences (BS/MS/PhD) and 3+ years relevant work experience.
- A strong intuition for how machines work and how to control.
- Direct experience building hardware that interfaces with electronics and software, or testing and operating systems with mechanical, electrical and software elements.
- Experience working with interdisciplinary technical teams, ideally in a technical leadership capacity.
- Extremely strong communication skills.
- A strong track record of technical problem solving.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience with integrated testing of rocket stages and/or launch operations.
- Project management experience on a multidisciplinary project.
- Experience in one off or development projects with a tight schedule, such as racing or high performance aircraft.
- Experience through the full life cycle of a single project, from idea through execution.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.