Leaf Group is a diversified Internet company that builds platforms to enable communities of creators to reach dedicated audiences in the ever-growing lifestyle categories.
We are looking for a Sr. Software Engineer who is dedicated, results-oriented, and a tenacious problem-solver to join our Media Engineering. This position is open to remote (must be eligible to work in the US and able to work during the PST time zone).
With over 100 million unique visitors per month to our fitness & wellness, design, and publishing sites, our success is based on the stability of our products’ performance, usability, and user experience. As part of our Media Engineering team, you will help provide the technical foundation to make this happen.
Leaf Group is a house of digital brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories, including Fitness & Wellness, Art & Design and Publishing. Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate, creative audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Sr. Software Engineer grows with us.
You’ll Report To: Manager, Engineering
A typical day as a Sr. Software Engineer might include:
- Collaborate with other engineers to build robust, reusable, and maintainable code to support and grow our brands
- Work closely with our product and design teams to create dynamic UIs, brand building features, and ad products
- Participate and lead code reviews, documentation, and technical discussions to contribute to knowledge sharing and provide mentorship
You’ll be successful if you are a motivated fullstack engineer specialized in building scalable, maintainable, isomorphic sites utilizing frontend application frameworks, Webpack and Node.js. The ideal candidate pursues great performance and user experience, and has a record of improving and contributing to engineering ecosystems.
What You Have:
- 3+ years of engineering experience with web technologies
- Strong knowledge of HTML and CSS to create pixel perfect responsive, mobile first websites
- Experience with component driven development using applications frameworks (Vue, React, Angular)
- Experience with Webpack configurations and SSR, isomorphic architectures
- Good understanding of SEO principles and semantic markup
- Strong understanding of building web apps powered by RESTful APIs
- Experience with TDD or BDD, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Familiarity with Node.js and web frameworks such as Express and Fastify
- Comfortable with NPM, Browser Developer Tools, Git, and Code Reviews
- Deeply care about web performance, loading fast, and staying fast
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. Personal accountability goes a long way. We believe we are the change.
Nice to have:
- Experience with ad solutions such as DFP and header bidding
- Hands-on experience with development and deployment automation technologies
- Experience with building component libraries
What We Have:
- eHow is the 2019 & 2020 People's Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
- Well+Good is the 2019 People's Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
- Leaf Group is among TalentDesk’s 2019 Best Companies To Work For
- Leaf Group is among the 2019 Built In LA Best Companies To Work For
- Leaf Group is among Comparably's 2018 Best Companies in Los Angeles
- Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company Award
- MyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
- Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Discounted gym memberships
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Leaf Group, Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for all job openings are welcome and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any other basis protected by state, federal, or local law. It is the intent of the Company to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local legislation concerning equal opportunity in employment.
If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.