Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Why Work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- INTO – A digital magazine dedicated to queer perspectives: news, culture, commentary, video, and more.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- Gaymoji – A one-of-a-kind collection of over 500+ stickers available on iOS, Android, and in the Grindr app.
- Slumbr – An event series for the high-minded partygoer, combining fashion, music, and art.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Grindr is looking for a Senior Software Engineer, Backend to join our team. You will use load testing, failure testing, measuring, and experimentation to safely deliver fast and reliable services to our users.
- Own the design and development of Grindr’s future isolated services following Domain Driven Design principles
- Drive a rigorous process that focuses on TDD, chaos testing, and load testing to deliver resilient services
- Work to ensure architectural coherence across the Grindr platform
- Optimize and fine tune key pieces of Grindr's platform like NGinx, Redis, ElasticSearch, and MySQL/AuroraDB.
- Help drive and support continued innovation at Grindr
- Prototype and benchmark new architectures and services
- Build with quality and integrity
- Ensure high availability of the Grindr platform through systems and infrastructure engineering
- Help guide and mentor team members through pairing sessions and code reviews
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing highly scalable distributed systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and Masters in Computer Science is a plus.
- Experience with CI/CD (Jenkins or Travis)
- Experience with Java - Java 8 a plus
- Deep knowledge of developing and maintaining concurrent non-blocking applications
- Hands-on experiencing designing and maintaining high availability services at scale
- An understanding of HTTPS transport protocols and message formats
- Experience with messaging protocols: XMPP, AMQP, and knowledge of message brokers such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Experience using AWS technologies such as EC2, RDS, Dynamo, and Elastic Beanstalk
Benefits & Perks
- 100% covered medical and dental insurance
- Unlimited sick policy
- Competitive Salaries
- Catered daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
*Recruiting firms that submit resumes to Grindr without first entering into a written contract will not be entitled to any compensation on candidates referred by that firm.