Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
The Hyperstructures team is responsible for design and development of the backbone infrastructure, portals, and mechanisms that make travel on the transportation system of the future possible. As a Senior Design Engineer, your designs and analysis will be instrumental in developing a safe, cost effective, and robust track system. We are seeking candidates with broad skillsets and various levels of experience to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals at our Los Angeles facility.
This position will play a key role in setting the track design for Virgin Hyperloop One’s transportation system of the future that will be used around the world.
- Responsible for design, development, and testing of the track system for the first commercial Hyperloop production system.
- Drafts and reviews design requirements for the production track system.
- Plans and oversees design and analysis activities for the production track system.
- Outlines test programs for proprietary Virgin Hyperloop One hardware.
- Collaborates with internal teams and external partners to advance design of the track system and interfacing Virgin Hyperloop One hardware.
- Coordinates and produces documentation of hardware for dissemination to fabricators, customers, vendors, and other parties.
- Attends and provides feedback to design reviews for systems interfacing with the vacuum structures.
- Provides cost related input for the Hyperloop track system to the project team.
- Assists with feasibility studies for Hyperloop projects around the world.
The Senior Design Engineer has seen their designs mature from a clean-sheet sketch to in-service systems. They are confident in their abilities and capable of forming far-reaching plans that include contingencies for inevitable changes in requirements, turbulence in the development life-cycle, and the general chaos that accompanies any new development project. Ideally, the candidate has touched every aspect of mechanical track design, from drafting to tooling design to inspection of the completed product.
Desired softer skills include the ability to remain cool under pressure, efficiency in prioritizing and executing tasks, the ability to make decisions in the face of incomplete information, and the ability to lead a small team in such a way that each contributor’s output is amplified by group collaboration. With a proven track record of solving complex technical challenges, the candidate must be highly self-motivated and have a keen attention to detail. The candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be capable of communicating across time zones and cultures to collaborate with international development and construction partners.
Candidates who also relate to these values are highly encouraged to apply:
- Accountability: Trustworthy and straightforward, you live by your handshake
- Audaciousness: Passionate and bold, you are fearless about speaking up
- Curiosity: You are inquisitive, challenging assumptions and asking “why”
- Get Sh*t Done: The ultimate doer, you are a maker, builder, tinkerer
- Grit: Ambitious and tenacious, you are driven and determined to succeed despite challenges
- Integrity: Honest and ethical, you promote transparency and fairness
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline and 6+ years of experience
- Utilizing engineering principles to design complex system
- Significant experience in detailed design of systems that require complex tolerancing to ensure fit and assembly
- Strong working knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials (hands on experience preferred)
- Strong understanding of Design for Manufacturing (DFM) for cost-effective production
- Proficient in ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- Proficiency in Siemens Unigraphics NX or similar software
- Material and structural testing
- Identifying and utilizing applicable industry safety standards
- 4+ years of high speed linear infrastructure design experience
- Specific skills: track alignment, geometry, irregularity, attachment, surveying, construction methodology, maintenance, and their respective impact to track quality
- Experience with one, or more, of the following:
- High speed rail (elevated or underground structures preferred)
- Maglev systems (could be academic, EMS systems preferred)
- Light rail transit (underground systems preferred)
- Field experience of linear infrastructure construction, managing change orders, solving day to day issues
- Experience as responsible engineer for track installation and alignment requirements from concept to detailed design, manufacturing, validation & verification, and final installation for a currently in use infrastructure project
- Research or publications of the dynamics relationship between rail quality, system performance, and rider comfort
- Deep understanding of exact constraint design methodology, kinematics, and precise mechanism design
- Experience of field measurement of tightly controlled systems
- Experience with regulatory certification of engineering products
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.