Senior Mechanical Design Engineer - Battery Systems
The Power Electronics division is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing the electrical power components in every part of the Hyperloop system. These components include variable frequency drives for propulsion and levitation, energy storage systems, cable assemblies, and the associated control hardware and control algorithms. We are seeking a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer at our Los Angeles facility to join our diverse, experienced team in designing power electronics and battery systems for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth.
- Design, analyze and test the mechanical aspects of the battery packaging system including structural and thermal requirements for the hyperloop system.
- Create and maintain models and drawings for the power electronics systems in Unigraphics NX.
- Responsible for analysis and verification of preliminary and detailed design with the use of hand calculations and FEA.
- Design and perform structural analyses on a wide variety of complex electronic packaging of piece parts, modules, and units as well as interface structures for the hyperloop systems.
- Capable of preparing requirements to define tests, perform different engineering experimental tests to verify design (e.g., components, system level, etc.) and correlate with computational results.
- Work with internal teams and external vendors to ensure timely completion of functional hardware.
- Must have product engineering experience in mechanical design.
- Must be able to develop straightforward design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills enabling an effective interface with other professionals, the production of appropriate documentation, and the presentation of results to a limited internal audience.
- Possesses strong analytical-base design skills, performing analysis, trade studies, developing conceptual designs and maturing those designs into the production phase - often in an environment where requirements may change & cost and schedule pressures dictate an efficient approach.
- Ability to make decisions, effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines.
- Experience developing a product from concept to production.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline and 5+ years of experience.
- Experience with detailed design of complex systems that require complex tolerancing to ensure fit and assembly.
- Experience with cylindrical cell battery packaging and design for safety (thermal runaway scenarios).
- Experience utilizing engineering principles to design complex systems.
- Proficiency in Siemens Unigraphics NX 6 or higher (or similar CAD software).
- Proficient in GD&T.
- Ability to size bolts, welds, connections, etc.
- Experience with Manufacturing and fabrication methods.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline preferred.
- Project management or leadership experience.
- Experience with high power battery pack design.
- Experience with electric vehicle battery packaging designs.
- Experience with battery systems in a low-pressure environment.
- Experience in aerospace applications.
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.