Senior Erlang Engineer
Why work at Grindr?
Since 2009, Grindr has built the world’s largest social network for gay, bi, trans, and queer people. Now more than just an app, we’re a family of lifestyle brands with the shared mission to connect LGBTQ people with the world around them:
- Grindr – The location-based social app that started it all. Over 3 million people use Grindr daily, from every country on the planet.
- INTO – A digital magazine dedicated to queer perspectives: news, culture, commentary, video, and more.
- Grindr for Equality (G4E) – Our social mission to promote justice, health, and safety for LGBTQ individuals around the globe.
- Gaymoji – A one-of-a-kind collection of over 500+ stickers available on iOS, Android, and in the Grindr app.
Behind the brands, Grindr is an inclusive and passionate family of thinkers, innovators, leaders, and most importantly, doers. We’re fueled by endless curiosity, constant collaboration, and a knack for crossing every finish line – all within an agile growth environment. We also enjoy tons of perks, great social events, and stunning views from our HQ in West Hollywood.
Grindr is looking for a Senior Erlang/Elixir Engineer. The right person for this role will have a deep understanding of architecting for the cloud, the compassion and empathy required to pair with junior engineers, and the ability to share knowledge throughout the team. In addition, the ability to design robust systems that anticipate failures and prior experience in building durable systems is going to be key to success here.
If you love to see your code released and you don’t settle for anything less than continuous delivery, we want to speak with you!
This is a fast-paced, agile environment; our team is passionate about their projects, they are collaborative and believe in a work/life balance. Come join a team that is writing applications to make sure people stay connected. Given the size of our team, you will have a very influential role both technically and professionally.
- Oversee the design and development of macro architectures supporting the Grindr platform
- Work to ensure architectural coherence across the Grindr platform
- Help drive and support continued innovation at Grindr
- Prototype and benchmark new architectures
- Oversee a rigorous development process for proving the scalability and fault tolerance of the software components powering our growing Grindr platform
- Practice TDD principles at the system level
- Build with quality and integrity
- Ensure high availability of the Grindr platform through systems and infrastructure engineering
- Provide technical leadership and mentor junior team members
- 5+ years of experience designing and developing highly scalable distributed systems
- Deep knowledge of developing and maintaining concurrent non-blocking applications
- An understanding of transport protocols and message formats
- Direct experience with TDD and a strong understanding of Domain Driven Design
- Must have functional programming experience in Erlang/Elixir (Scala/Java a plus)
- Experience working on highly available systems at scale
- Experience with chaos testing and designing for failure
- Experience using AWS technologies such as EC2, RDS, Dynamo, and Elastic Beanstalk
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Benefits & Perks
- Full coverage for medical and dental insurance
- Unlimited sick policy
- Competitive Salary
- Catered lunch
- Stocked kitchen
- Free on-site parking
- Casual dress environment
Grindr is an equal opportunity employer
*Recruiting firms that submit resumes to Grindr without first entering into a written contract will not be entitled to any compensation on candidates referred by that firm