The Senior Computer Vision Scientist is a key member that will be working on Verity within the Computer Vision team in Santa Monica. On a day-to-day basis, this role operates as a member of the research and development team to deliver solutions that continue to enhance GumGum’s ability for brand safety and contextual understanding in addition to meeting requirements from various advertising campaigns.
The person in this role will need to stay relevant and up to date with state-of-the-art technology, often building upon existing algorithms to develop innovative products to meet our industry and client’s needs. Efforts are concentrated on image classification and detection but the role also focuses on video processing.
The role works within a large cross functional team that involves collaborating with our Natural Language Processing team to work on multimodal solutions and our Machine Learning Engineering team on projects related to our CI/CD environments. The person in this role will make a significant impact on Verity’s product offerings which will be key to generating revenue streams for the business.
****Please note we are working from home until September 2021
- Assess and implement algorithms and methods from relevant literature utilizing open source Vision/Math tools such as OpenCV, PyTorch, Tensorflow
- Collaborate regularly with cross-functional teams (Machine Learning Engineering, Natural Language Processing, Product) to build upon existing products, brainstorm creative solutions for new products, and to share technical learnings with each other
- Enhance existing solutions including code refactoring to optimize for performance, reliability, efficiency, and scalability
- Write and maintain clean and modular code to deploy in production environment
- Contribute to active research communities through conference/journal publications, meetups, and workshops
- MS in Computer Vision, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or Physics, Machine Learning or a related technical field
- 1- 2 years Experience in Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Image Analysis
- 1- 2 years Experience applying machine learning and deep learning to images / video data with 3rd party Vision/Math tools such as OpenCV, PyTorch, Tensorflow
- Experience with AWS ecosystem preferred
- Experience with temporal and multimodal data for both images and video preferred
- Experience training with large datasets preferred
- Experience with CPU/GPU optimization preferred
- Publications in top-tier journals and conferences preferred
- Strong program fluency in Python / C++ and familiar with Linux environment
- Strong communication skills to effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams including both technical and non-technical team members
- Strong critical and logical skills while also being able to “think outside the box” to come up with creative solutions to meet the project needs
- Organized self-starter with proactive attitude
- Critical thinker, able to break down complex problems and work with ambiguity
- Team player that works well with others in a cross functional team
- An advocate for continuous learning such that they are motivated to stay on top of latest developments
- Demonstrate independence or has leadership qualities to step in and guide a project from conception to production (i.e. self-motivated and takes initiative)
- Intuition to know when to pivot from an existing research project to another such that they are able to remove themselves from going down an endless rabbit hole.
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive health, vision and dental benefits
- Healthcare including 100% coverage for Employee + Spouse
- Dependent care FSA
- Employer-matched 401(k) plan
- Stock incentive program (role dependent)
- Paid parental leave
- Goodly - student loan contribution plan
- WFH monthly stipend
- Fitness reimbursement and wellness workshops
- Discounted Pet Health Program
- Flexible time off and work schedule
- Stocked kitchen & Everytable Smartfridge
- Dog-friendly HQ office - we love our fur babies!
- Incredible work/life balance with a collaborative and friendly work space
- GumGum Gives Back volunteering opportunities
- Team building lunches and events, and monthly company celebrations
- Virtual monthly team bonding events
Career & Development Focus
- Ongoing learning and development for education opportunities such as webinars, books, classes, relevant conferences and events
- Opportunities to pursue business related side projects and yearly Hackathon
- Highly encouraged to contribute to open source software, including our own open source software
- Environment of learning from peers, including meetups, presentations and blog posts
- Anniversary recognition and awards
- Opportunity to work with cutting edge technology
- Life Skills sessions - geared towards the whole life/ health / person
- Leadership Bites Dinner Series - connecting current and future GumGum leaders over great food and meaningful conversation
- Stride - our company council committee to share learnings, give updates and provide feedback to the company regarding initiatives and discussions around diversity, inclusion and equity.
We invite you to learn more about GumGum!
GumGum is an AI company with expertise in computer vision built on the imagination of its people. Each day, our talented team of thinkers and doers comes together to solve hard problems on behalf of the world’s most successful businesses. Through a combination of computer science, creativity and hustle, we’ve produced a series of major technology breakthroughs across a variety of industries - from advertising to sports.
GumGum is constantly evolving to be at the forefront of computer vision and machine learning advancements. With nearly 10 years experience, we use our proprietary image recognition technology to deliver highly engaging, contextually relevant ad experiences across premium publishers all over the world.
Our Products & Services...
Our Advertising business serves contextual marketing messages in line with content users are actively engaged with.
Verity, GumGum's contextual analysis tool, combines natural language processing with computer vision technology to execute a multi-layered reading process by parsing the body text, headlines, image captions with natural language processing; at the same time, using computer vision to parse the main visuals.
Our Sports business helps marketers and rights holders understand the full media value of their sponsorship investments across broadcast and social media. And we deliver on brand safety by leveraging our AI to detect unsafe text and imagery, allowing us to deliver ads in brand safe, contextually relevant environments.
What’s a Hackathon? We’re glad you asked. Our employees split into teams and spend 48 hours ‘hacking’ together before presenting their ideas to our executive team. It’s a chance for anyone within our company to showcase the visions they want to bring to fruition.
GumGum recently earned LA’s Best Places to Work Award in 2021 by BuiltInLA, and Inc. Magazine’s Best Places to Work in 2020 and it’s no surprise why. With company-sponsored social hours, annual holiday celebrations and on-site gatherings, GumGummers enjoy a fun, creative and collaborative workplace. We provide ourselves on our strong track record of giving employees the autonomy and support they need to succeed. Check us out on Instagram: @gumgum
Oh, and doggies...
We love our dogs so much, we even have an Instagram dedicated to them! Follow us: @dogsofgumgum