Senior Combustion Devices Design Engineer
Greater LA Area
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Senior Combustion Devices Design Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical leadership in the development of the Aeon 1 propulsion system injector, thrust chamber assembly, and ignition system for the Terran 1 vehicle, as well as helping build a world-class propulsion team. A high degree of autonomy and leadership is required.
This position is based in Los Angeles but requires travel to our Mississippi test site as needed.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to re imagine the way rockets are built and flown--as a Senior Combustion Devices Design Engineer, you will have complete ownership over the design and development of the main combustion elements. This includes the injector, ignitor, main combustion chamber, and nozzle--taking all of these parts from current concepts to certification. Additionally, you will be developing test plans, supporting testing, and analyzing test data to verify performance and system requirements.
Your main outcome is to have a complete design, development, and qualification of our first flight's main combustion components--with automated data analysis support to reduce engine test turnaround. Over time, you will also identify, develop, and implement cos reduction and automation opportunities for following design improvements.
•Design, build, and test advanced rocket engines and propulsion systems.
• Support propulsion system design through all phases from preliminary design and analysis to detailed design, integration, test, and qualification.
• Develop test programs and processes, analyze data and test results, and troubleshoot propulsion hardware and performance.
• Work with manufacturing engineers to develop, evaluate, and improve manufacturing methods using knowledge of product design, materials and parts, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in aerospace/mechanical engineering or related field and 5+ years of experience developing propulsion systems and components.
- Experience with propulsion design, testing, integration, and qualification.
- Strong understanding of launch vehicle propulsion systems and components.
- Knowledge of Injector and Regeneratively Cooled Combustion Chamber design, analysis, and test.
- ProE/CREO experience or equivalent with an understanding and application of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) per ASME Y14.5-1994.
- Experience managing subcontractors, suppliers, and vendors.
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Experience leading small teams in complex engineering projects.
- Experience with powder bed additive manufacturing and automation techniques.
- Familiarity with industry-standard propulsion design and analysis codes.
- Experience developing propulsion system design and analysis codes.
- 10+ years experience developing liquid rocket engines.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Read Full Job Description