RF Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity seeks a highly talented RF Engineer to join a rapidly growing space startup. This position will provide outstanding technical engineering to ensure the Terran 1 launch vehicle S-Band telemetry system and GPS receivers maintain sufficient performance throughout flight. The RF Engineer will be the owner of the S-band RF transmitter, all vehicle antennas including GPS antennas, and RF link budgets. In addition, they will also be responsible for regulatory licensing, and coordinating ground stations for mission telemetry coverage at the launch site and around the world as needed.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As the RF Engineer, you will be responsible for ensuring the RF link between the Terran 1 launch vehicle and our ground receivers provide critical vehicle performance metrics and on-board video data. Additionally, you will be responsible for all antennas on the launch vehicle providing RF links for telemetry and GPS. Includes seeing the hardware designed correctly, through manufacturing, ATP/QTP testing, and installation on the vehicle with necessary RF checkouts. Working with regulators such as the FCC will also be required to obtain necessary licenses for operation of the RF transmitters.
The ideal candidate is someone that is excited to work with RF systems and remote vehicles. They should be familiar with RF link budgets and antenna performance in regards to ensuring proper links over vehicle operational conditions. Experience working with the FCC is also highly relevant to our mission. Proper use of RF test equipment such as RF power meters, spectrum analyzers, and Bit Error Rate Tester (BERT) tools are expected. The candidate should have a solid understanding of how avionics hardware is manufactured and tested for space applications. As an RF Engineer, they are focused on keeping solutions simple and practical, supporting our schedules, and delivering quality solutions. The candidate should be proactive and inquisitive to make the best judgements possible in any given situation. They strive to learn the ins-and-outs of existing processes and apply critical thinking skills to improve our RF systems. A successful candidate should be communicative, respectful, strive to achieve compromise, and be flexible with their schedule.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- An undergraduate or graduate degree (BS/MS/PhD) in electrical engineering or comparable and 2+ years relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience developing RF systems operating in real-world environments over remote links
- Experience with microwave RF signals ideally GPS L1 and S-Band frequencies
- Understanding of electromagnetic propagation
- Understanding of digital modulations such as BPSK, QPSK, and SOQPSK or similar
- Experience working with spectrum analyzers, RF power meters, and other relevant RF test equipment
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Experience developing schematics for RF circuitry using an EDA such as Altium Designer, ADS, or equivalent
- Prior experience with simulation tools such as HFSS
- EMI/EMC testing per MIL-STD-461
- Prior work on a launch vehicle
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.