Relativity seeks a highly talented Quality Inspection Technician to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the Machining Services team. We are responsible for sourcing and developing in-house machining capabilities, and meeting the machining demands of the enterprise. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution in the development of the Terran 1 launch vehicle, as well as helping to build a world-class manufacturing team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Quality Inspection Technician, you will own and develop the dimensional inspection processes for precision-machined Aeon-1 engine hardware. You will also provide extensive support to the CNC machining team as we scale our shop throughput from development to production quantities. You will also develop assembly-level inspection procedures for critical engine components, including thrust chambers, valves, and turbopumps.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to precision-machined hardware. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for:
- Someone who can create and own all dimensional inspection processes, and perform physical inspections.
- Someone who can collaborate closely with manufacturing engineers and machinists to streamline our production processes.
- Someone who can own and write work instructions for inspections of different parts.
- Someone who can work with engineers and machinists to develop CMM inspection programs, and accept/reject criteria.
- Someone who can develop our inspection reports for flight hardware.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- 5+ years of experience in dimensional inspection
- Ability to operate a CMM
- Strong knowledge of GD&T and tolerance stack-up
- Strong communication skills, and ability to write work instructions and inspection reports
- Knowledge of machining (5-axis, 3 axis, lathe)
- Knowledge of powder-bed additive manufacturing
- Knowledge of acceptance test procedures unique to rocket engines
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Degree in engineering or related technical field and 7+ years of relevant experience
- Basic CNC programming skills
- Ability to operate a lathe, 3-axis mill, and grinder
- Knowledge of assembly and inspection processes unique to rocket engines, especially turbopumps.
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.