Quality Assurance Director
Quality is of the utmost importance to Hyperloop One. Quality will ensure a robust development process and will drive the metrics and measurements of components and software delivered to the project. A product like Hyperloop requires a very high level of Quality Management to guarantee the system is fit for use and receives regulatory certification.
Hyperloop requires a Quality Assurance leader to create the Quality Management processes and culture that are required to fulfill our goal of delivering the first Hyperloop transportation system.
- Build, train, and enforce quality systems and strategies designed to ensure mission reliability, compliance to customer and governmental requirements, and a 0% failure culture.
- Be an expert in Hyperloop business operations and technologies and know how traditional quality assurance strategies should be adapted to enhance our unique business model.
- Drive product safety and ultimate system certifications by developing a robust and integrated quality system strategy and serves as the main quality point of contact with regulatory agencies and customers.
- Understand the 'why' and lead Hyperloop in designing a world-class, flexible, and efficient quality assurance and compliance organization.
- Responsible for developing, designing, administering, and maintaining quality assurance systems, standards and activities, and will partner with and coordinate activities across customers and Hyperloop sites with the goal of creating a culture of continuous quality improvement.
- Serve as the principal contact person for external regulatory bodies and accreditation organizations for audits, surveys, and other inquiries; oversees documentation, reporting, and closure of compliance issues.
- Coordinate the budget development for Quality Assurance and Compliance, including immediate and projected needs of human and material resources. Assumes fiscal management and accountability for those budgets, evaluating significant variances constantly.
- Provide direct management coverage for QA owned process elements; NDT, Process inspection, Quality Process Support, and Calibration. Maintains all required documentation for compliance.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the Quality Assurance function with a focus on developing a lean and effective quality management system, and supporting QA systems & processes, infrastructure and a workforce that will meet the future needs of the business.
- Develop and implement the corporation’s internal ISO 9001 Quality Management System and any relevant Quality Assurance standard operating procedures. Once implemented, acts as the subject matter expert in industry quality systems, including ISO, AS and implements proven tools (such as Six Sigma, Statistical Process Control) to improve yield, and reduce QA associated costs.
- Collaborate, in partnership with program managers, with customers to improve customer relationships, champion joint improvement initiatives, respond to customer concerns, improve understanding of requirements, and eliminate escapes. Meet with decision makers, systems owners, and end customers to define business requirements.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement a set of quality metrics to enable early detection of adverse trends and expeditious resolution of issues at the earliest possible point in the product life cycle.
- Educate and train employees as to their impact in the quality management system.
- Communicates and collaborates with Manufacturing, Engineering, and Operations to support the resolution of internal and external quality issues with a flexible attitude and ability to work in a fast-moving culture; maintains accurate records related to testing, certifications, quality complaints, claims and returns.
- Manage complex projects which can cross team boundaries; often addressing requirements and objectives which may initially be ambiguous and need to be refined by working with multiple organizations.
- Work with Engineering to contribute to and drive the execution of the technical product roadmap based on input from the business and product advisory boards, participating and driving governance processes to ensure the long-term quality of shared components within the technology platform.
- Lead customer regulatory audits and risk assessments, ensuring 100% compliance across all functional areas.
Hyperloop-One is seeking a proven, hands-on Director of Quality to proactively design, build and lead the Quality Strategy and Function across our organization. You will have the unique opportunity and responsibility to develop our Quality Management System and Quality Department from the ground up.
The Director of Quality will be based at our campus in Los Angeles, CA. To be successful, this person will be a driven, self-motivated leader who can create a system, organization and culture that is agile and successful across multiple functions and geographies.
Communicates effectively with staff and external customers using two-way channels of communication with openness and active listening. Shares information in a timely and non-threatening manner. Regularly solicits feedback from customers.
Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness to shifting priorities and trends with consideration of their impact on services. Contributes to a responsive atmosphere related to change by remaining focused on strategic goals while being supportive and open with staff.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Think strategically, act tactically with the strength of character to motivate others to buy into ideas, concepts and values.
- Successfully carry out responsibilities in a dynamic and growing start-up environment.
- Strong Quality Management System and Quality principle acumen in an aerospace and/or defense environment.
- Demonstrates competence in leadership, communication, professionalism, organizational and analytical skills, and technical/professional skills.
- Responsible for directing quality management efforts to ensure continuous improvement and organizational excellence, adherence with all regulatory, compliance, accreditation, and legal issues, and promote a safe environment for all employees, patients and visitors. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to interpret, develop, write and revise departmental Standard Operating Procedures.
- Experience with large scale ERP systems such as Oracle, SAP and MS Dynamics a plus, as well as financial compliance systems.
- Leading all aspects of continuous improvement, root cause analysis and corrective actions. Broad knowledge of theory and principles of statistics and statistical process control. Diverse knowledge of inspection and control methods, techniques and documentation. Significant experience in a complex Quality Assurance/Quality Control organization.
- Significant experience with ISO9001, TS16949, AS9100C or similar program.
- Performed a successful ISO9001 implementation in an engineering company.
- Track record of managing and coaching direct reports.
- Experience in conducting compliance audits.
- Experience with a wide variety of components and processes related to structural and industrial products such as motor manufacturing, metal forming, machining, fabrication of large structures, electrical subsystems, concrete and construction.
- Demonstrated change management experience, guiding the organization to the desired state.
- Occasional domestic and international travel to suppliers, customers and installation sites.
- 15+ years of applicable experience.
- Technical Bachelor’s degree preferred. Advanced degree preferred.
- ASQ/CQE/CQM certification with experience in a production manufacturing environment preferred.
- Strong knowledge of FMEA, Root Cause, 8D, SPC, SQC and Six Sigma.
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.