QA Manager at ChowNow
Greater LA Area
!Sorry, this job was removed at 3:02 p.m. (PST) on Monday, October 28, 2019
Are you a seasoned Quality Assurance Manager? Are you passionate about people, and making a meaningful, positive impact on the careers of your colleagues and work environment? Do you have a vision of how quality assurance can improve the experience of end users, as well as software developers and all other stakeholders? Would you like to lead a successful QA Team into the next level? We have an excellent opportunity for you.
About the Position
As the QA Manager, you will lead the Team of 5+ QA Engineers and Software Development Engineers in Test. We are a fast growing company and you will play an important role in our success story, ensuring our high customer experience standards are applied to all new product releases. You will motivate the Team to consistently improve testing practices, tools, and process. You will share your vision across the entire engineering organization and remove any roadblocks on the team roadmap. You will take pride in cultivating our culture of mutual support, empathy, diversity, and growth.
Reports to the Vice President of Engineering. Must be able to work from ChowNow’s Los Angeles HQ.
A one-of-a-kind workplace on a mission to preserve one-of-a-kind food.
ChowNow is on a mission to help local, independent restaurants thrive. Because of the vitality they bring to our neighborhoods and cities. Because of the amazing, one-of-a-kind food they create. And because the restaurant business is tougher than ever -- thanks to increasing competition, complexity, and the rise of third-party delivery services that gouge restaurants on every sale.
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee, regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
We pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 11,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase.
If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk. Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent) and by browsing our open roles at chownow.com/careers. Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 1 Month, You'll...
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience).
- Spend time individually with every person in the Test Team and begin leading weekly one-on-one sessions with your team members.
- Immerse yourself with all Product Squads and learn how existing testing processes, practices and tooling support building and releasing new features.
Within 3 Months, You'll...
- Develop a roadmap and staffing model to support current and upcoming testing needs.
- Define and monitor practical and meaningful goals and metrics allowing you and the Team stay on the right track.
- Tune existing tooling, process, and practices, with the goal of verifying new features and ensuring that no regressions are introduced, minimizing the number of defects found by our Customers.
- Work closely with Product, Engineering and Design leadership, to build an understanding of long term roadmap and priorities, and contribute to the roadmap itself.
- Open cross-training and growth opportunities for Manual Testers and SDETs.
Within 6 Months, You'll...
- Expand the QA Team following your hiring roadmap.
- Establish team and individual OKRs and KPIs based upon company goals.
- Scale up test documentation, planning, and execution by researching and introducing new tools and practices.
- Develop and support career growth paths for all team members.
- Craft, document, and communicate our QA strategy for the next 12-18 months.
Within 1 Year, You'll...
- Promote at least one member of your team.
- Build a QA culture based on collaboration, measuring and tracking results, and constant improvement.
- Engage in local and virtual QA communities to contribute to building a strong ChowNow engineering brand.
You Should Apply If:
- You have 6+ years of experience in software testing roles, ideally at fast-growing SaaS companies.
- You have 3+ years of experience in building and leading QA Team, both Manual Testers and SDETs.
- You are passionate about people, mentoring, and building work culture based on respect, empathy, support, collaboration, and diversity.
- You understand Agile software development principles and how QA contributes to the success of such processes and teams (Scrum, Kanban).
- You are familiar with software development and testing practices, like branching models, release planning, test plans, test cases, and CI/CD.
- You have the ability to identify and prioritize current and upcoming needs of QA teams, building out new processes, systems, and structures as well as optimizing existing ones.
- You can create and drive improvement of meaningful metrics around your work, setting targets, managing quarterly plans or OKRs.
- You have strong track record growing talent and building a diverse skill set QA teams.
- You have a demonstrable history of cross-functional collaboration.
- You have hands-on experience testing software.
- You have a positive attitude and great communication skills.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A "best place to work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Read Full Job Description