Python Engineer (Remote) at Inspire
In-office locations: Santa Monica, CA, USA and Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Remote location(s): United States.
As a certified B Corp, our mission is truly woven into the fabric of what we do. As you grow professionally, you are doing good for the planet by helping us to transform the way consumers access clean energy and accelerate the world’s transition to a net-zero carbon future.
As a Sr. Software Engineer on our Operating Model Team, your work will help drive down costs, manage risk, accelerate growth and improve our member experience -- broadening access to clean energy as we grow to new markets, and enabling new products that accelerate a net zero carbon future. Inspire’s Operating Model is the heart and the brain of our clean energy platform -- tracking and forecasting costs and revenues as the source of truth for key stakeholders across the business to make decisions about growth, optimization and strategy.
You will work closely with machine learning and data engineers to build scalable and extensible APIs to integrate our ML models into the services used throughout our business. You will contribute to our pricing and offers service, which combines machine learning forecasts with a pricing experimentation platform to show customers the right plan at the right price to best meet their needs. By ensuring forecast accuracy and precision at the point of sale, we are able to effectively hedge risk and minimize costs, enabling innovative and consumer-friendly products including flat-price subscription billing. By actively experimenting with plan types, we continuously improve customer satisfaction and lifetime value, maximizing our collective impact on our mission to accelerate a net zero carbon future.
Here's how you'll help:
- Design and build REST APIs in ruby and/or python to support core business functionality such as pricing, offers, and load forecasts.
- Configure and maintain cloud infrastructure on AWS and Heroku
- Configure and manage applications on kubernetes
- Build and maintain CI/CD pipelines for applications using AWS and Github
- Team-oriented development: building modular & re-usable tools, writing maintainable code, owning technical and business documentation
- Working with our ML team to provide robust interfaces for our ML Models
- Communication with technical and non-technical audiences, and ability to translate between the domains of business problems and implementations
Some Year 1 Deliverables:
- Extend current offer service APIs to support new features
- Build new APIs to allow internal services to leverage our LTV and Load Forecasting APIs
- Identify bottlenecks and improve scalability to support our growing customer base
- Improve and maintain CI/CD pipelines for various services within the Operating Model infrastructure
Here's what you'll provide:
- Must Have
- 3+ years experience working with Ruby and/or Python for a backend application in a production environment
- 3+ years experience with the software development life cycle (git, Pull Requests, Code Reviews, Testing, etc)
- Proficiency working with the command line
- Proficiency with SQL
- Nice to Have
- Experience with key technologies: rails, flask, redis, kubernetes, streaming (kafka, kinesis, etc.), swagger
- Experience with ORMs ActiveRecord, SQLAlchemy, etc
- Experience with IaC tools Cloud Formation, Terraform, etc
- Experience working in the energy industry
- Experience working with financial data and complex financial models
- Experience with technical communication to audiences of diverse backgrounds
Open to other technical backgrounds, but currently using the following data stack:
- Loading & Orchestration: Airflow/Fivetran
- Warehouse: Snowflake
- Data Processing: dbt (SQL), Python, Spark
- Cloud Provider: Amazon Web Services
Our Work Model: This position is eligible for remote work. Being bi-coastal, we have mastered the art of working collaboratively across different time zones and regions. Working from the comforts of our own homes, we don't mind the constant cameos from children and pets.
Dedication to DE&I:
The desire to be a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace in which everyone can thrive has been a guiding force in Inspire’s journey. Our diversity mission statement is as follows: “The best Inspire is a diverse Inspire. We’re passionately building a culture of belonging and empowerment to create a better world for all.” That’s why we’re committed to leveling the playing field and highly encourage all women, BIPOC, and those in the LGBTQIA+ communities to apply for our open positions even if you don't match 100% of the listed criteria. We would love to learn more about you!
Here's what we offer: The estimated starting salary range for new hires is $109,800 - $128,100 annually + bonus + benefits, less applicable withholdings and deductions. (The actual salary offered may vary based on relevant factors as determined in the Company’s discretion, which may include experience, qualifications, tenure [for existing employees], skill set, availability of qualified candidates, geographic location, certifications held, and other criteria deemed pertinent to the particular role. Note that the majority of individuals in the position will fall in the low to mid-level of this scale; the upper end of this pay scale is offered only in exceptional circumstances and/or for qualified candidates.) We are excited to invest in the wellbeing of our employees by offering a competitive total rewards package that includes health and wellness benefits, tuition assistance, and 401(k) matching.
Health & Wellness:
- Medical/Dental/Vision coverage starts from day one
- Summer Fridays and Wellness days
- Mental Health Benefits (Headspace, Ginger)
- Company Paid Parental Leave
Life at Inspire:
- Flexible Time Off
- 401(K) up to 4% Matching
- Employee Resource Groups
- Treks through GivePower and the opportunity to participate in service trip
- Training, development, and growth opportunities for all employees
- Work from Home
- Semi Annual Performance Bonuses
- B Corporation Discounts
- Open Office Floor Plan
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Fun Company Events
More About Who We Are:
Inspire is a clean energy technology company on a mission to transform the way consumers access clean energy and to accelerate the world’s transition to a net-zero carbon future.
We provide our customers with access to renewable energy from wind, solar, and hydro powered sources without service interruptions or costly installations at a flat, predictable monthly rate. On average, one year of being an Inspire member can help avoid 9,639 pounds of carbon emissions - that is 7x more impactful than one year of recycling!