Team and Role Overview:
Relativity seeks a highly talented Propulsion Technician to join a rapidly growing space startup. This role falls under the Propulsion Manufacturing team. We are responsible for assembling and testing engine components prior to final engine integration. This position will provide outstanding technical contribution in the development of the Terran 1 launch vehicle, as well as helping to build a world-class manufacturing team. A high degree of autonomy and initiative is required.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As Propulsion Technician, you will develop the processes to assemble and integrate the Aeon-1 engine. You will also assemble turbopumps, valves, thrust chambers, perform proof tests, and final engine assembly. You must be able to work to a process plan, develop your own tooling and fixtures, and collaborate with design engineers to optimize your assembly process.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be someone who thrives in ambiguity and is able to drive their own projects to completion. You must have the passion, tenacity and resolve to work through challenging issues unique to rocket engines. Ideally, you are someone who has come from a fast paced, aerospace environment, having completed difficult projects while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary groups. More specifically, we are looking for:
- Someone who can assemble propulsion components and perform necessary check outs (turbopumps, valves, thrust chambers).
- Someone who can execute a structural proof test.
- Someone familiar with precision cleaning and working in a clean environment.
- Someone comfortable sourcing, interpreting, applying knowledge from technical documents and specifications.
- Someone familiar with precision measurement and technical drawings.
- Someone who understands hazardous materials handling and safety,
- Someone experienced with high pressure fluid systems, rigging, lifting, and transporting heavy materials with forklifts and overhead cranes.
- Someone who can both execute and optimize a process.
- Someone with strong communication skills, desire for growth, and willingness to collaborate with design engineers on a regular basis.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- 3+ years of experience in assembling rocket engines and their components
- Strong communication skills and ability to understand work instructions
- Experience operating manual machining equipment and working with pressurized fluid systems
- Experience with propulsion technician work, including structural proof, leak checks, clearance checks, and precision cleaning procedures.
- Ability to train other technicians how to execute a process
- Experience transitioning a process from first article to production
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- 5+ years of experience in assembling rocket engines and their components
- Experience in a startup or agile development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.