Propulsion Manager, Design at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
The Propulsion team at Relativity Space is responsible for the design, development, testing, and manufacturing of Relativity’s entirely 3D printed rocket engine, Aeon. As a part of this team, you will help build, create, and iterate on the full product lifecycle of our Aeon engine. Unique to Relativity, you will get to work across many teams to iterate and support Relativity's first-of-its-kind 3D printing software and robotics technology. This team is critical to the launch success of Terran 1, among many other firsts!
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To achieve our mission, you will drive the team through the full product design lifecycle for the Aeon Propulsion System. You will lead a team through initial concepts, trade studies, detailed design, manufacture and test of our rocket engines. Your overall objective is to grow a propulsion team capable of handling rapid iteration and leveraging the power of 3D printing to reduce cost, weight and part count. You will work cross functionally as well as with external manufacturing partners to drive an exceptional, reliable product through completion as we reach first launch and beyond. The success of Relativity is also highly dependent on your willingness to recruit, build, and mentor a world class team. You will report to the Director of Propulsion.
The ideal candidate has led propulsion teams in a fast-paced, innovative aerospace environment. You have carried teams through difficult projects and are able to thrive in ambiguity.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- An undergraduate degree (BS) in Aerospace/Mechanical engineering or related field and 5+ years relevant work experience.
- 2+ years leading an engineering team.
- FEM Structural Analysis.
- Strong project management skills through the lifecycle of a product.
- Knowledge of design and manufacturing for 3D printing.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- A graduate degree (MS/PhD) in Aerospace/Mechanical engineering or related field and 3+ years relevant work experience.
- 2+ years leading a rocket propulsion engineering team.
- Experience with NX and TeamCenter PLM systems.
- Experience with ANSYS Workbench.
- Experience in the design of liquid propulsion components and systems.
- Experience with topology optimization program.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.