NDT Engineer at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview:
Relativity is looking for a Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) Engineer to join the multifaceted Additive Manufacturing team comprised of software, automation, computer vision, and weld engineers. Your main objective will be to identify, develop and qualify the NDT methods and programs necessary for producing orbital class launch vehicles using Relativity’s 3D printing technology.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives:
Your main objective will be to identify, develop and qualify the NDT methods and programs necessary for producing orbital class launch vehicles using Relativity’s 3D printing technology. You will develop inspection processes and acceptance criteria by balancing your in-depth knowledge of industry standards with empirical methods for our unique inspection needs.
An excellent understanding of radiographic, ultrasonic and penetrant inspection techniques is necessary, preferably with additive manufactured materials. You will be responsible for selecting the best technique for a given application. You will interpret results and advise production and manufacturing engineers as well as advise our software and computer vision engineers to integrate NDT systems into our Stargate-class 3D printers for in-process monitoring of our printing processes.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies:
In order to be successful in this role, you should have one of the following:
- 5+ years performing NDT engineering and developing inspection plans in a manufacturing environment OR
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or physical science with 3+ years’ experience as an NDT engineer OR
- Master’s degree in engineering or physical science with 1+ years’ experience as an NDT engineer
Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Experience with digital radiographic testing (RT) inspection methods
- Experience with using weld processes for additive manufacturing
- Experience with welding processes and their integration in robotic cells.
- Understanding of basic metallurgy of aluminum alloys.
- Knowledge of relevant aerospace manufacturing and welding specifications, such as AWS D17.1 and other applicable standard welding specifications
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.