Motor Controls Engineer at Relativity Space
Relativity is the first and only company to automate aerospace manufacturing by integrating intelligent robotics, software, and proprietary metal 3D printing technology. Disrupting 60 years of aerospace, Relativity offers a radically simplified supply chain, building a rocket with 100x fewer parts in less than 60 days. Our long-term goal is to upgrade humanity’s industrial base on Earth and on Mars.
The Avionics team is responsible for all aspects of the electrical design on the rocket, from electronics, interconnects, associated mechanical design, testing and initial production of the first 3D printed rocket! This team's scope includes the flight computers, power systems, RF systems, PCB design, autonomous flight safety systems, and telemetry. This team works on complex electrical systems that require modularity and flexibility, and are critical to the successful launch of Terran 1 and beyond!
What you’ll do:
In this role, you will be responsible for the controls algorithms in avionics electro-mechanical systems. This position will provide outstanding technical support in developing high power, high performance motor controllers for our Terran 1 launch vehicle. This will include algorithm evaluation, algorithm implementation, building sub-system models, verification and validation of flight software, etc.
What you need to know:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in aerospace engineering or comparable and 3+ years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience developing motor control algorithms from initial requirement capture, through conceptual design, implementation and final validation.
- Understanding of motors and their control algorithms
Nice to haves but not required:
- Prior work on a launch vehicle or aerospace applications
- Field-Oriented-Control (FOC) experience a plus
- Linear actuator experience preferred
- Prior work in a startup or agile development environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced startup environment
- Ability to complete projects with ownership of end-to-end solutions with a high degree of independence.
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Relativity Space offers competitive salary and equity, a generous vacation policy, an annual L&D stipend and more!