Mechanical Design Engineer
The Electromagnetic Systems division is responsible for the design and development of the Hyperloop Propulsion Motor, Levitation, and Guidance Systems. These systems are all electromechanical in nature and are designed by a highly cross-functional team of exceptional engineers in the areas of Electromagnetics, Mechanical Design, Heat Transfer, Materials Science, Testing, Controls and Embedded Systems, and Electrical System Modeling. We are seeking candidates with broad skillsets and various levels of experience to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals and work on one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth, from right here at our Los Angeles facility.
The Mechanical Design Engineer is responsible for:
• Working under minimal supervision to complete the mechanical design of complex sub-systems (including prop, lev and guidance sub-systems), throughout the entire product development cycle
• Working with internal teams to facilitate integration of subsystems with the vehicle as well as working with the manufacturing team to ensure the product is designed with production in mind
• Collaborating with management and technical leads to Interpret program requirements and distill into mechanical design requirements.
• Creating and maintaining CAD models of components, assemblies and corresponding engineering drawings for the propulsion and levitation systems in Unigraphics NX.
• Analysis and verification of preliminary and detailed design with the use of hand calculations and FEA
• Interpreting system, subsystem, environmental and operational requirements to create and maintain functional tolerance stack-ups to ensure manufacturability and that requirements are met.
• Collaborating to help define the scope of component or subscale tests and deliver on the build of required mechanical components to mitigate design risks
• Working with internal teams and external vendors to ensure timely completion of functional hardware
The candidate must have product engineering experience in mechanical design. The candidate must be able to develop simple, cost-effective, manufacturable design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment. In addition, the candidate must possess the following characteristics:
• Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
• Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
• Ability to learn quickly, make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• Demonstrated experience fully owning the detailed mechanical design of systems that require complex tolerancing to ensure fit, assembly and performance
• Demonstrated experience designing parts and assemblies for a variety of manufacturing and fabrication methods
• Demonstrated experience with designing parts for both prototyping and production volumes
• Experience utilizing engineering principles to design complex systems
• Ability to perform hand calculations on the fly, including sizing bolts, connections and other structural members
• Proficiency in standard drafting practices and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
• Proficiency in Siemens Unigraphics NX 6 or higher (or similar CAD software)
• Experience with ANSYS Workbench (or similar FEA software)
• Sound knowledge of mechanics of materials
• B.S, M.S. or Ph. D. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
• Hands on fabrication experience including general machine shop tools such as mills, lathes, etc.
• Experience with material and structural testing
• Experience with mechanical design of electric motors, electromechanical components and cooling systems
• Experience with electromagnetic coils, laminations, bonding methods