Manager of Software Engineering, Flight at Relativity Space
Team and Role Overview
Relativity is looking for an experienced software engineering manager to lead our Flight Software team. This position will be responsible for managing the teams that build the flight control software and embedded software on the Terran 1 launch vehicle. This includes planning schedule and milestones, and interfacing with counterparts in Avionics, GNC, and Vehicle Engineering. Developing team growth strategies to enable Relativity to accomplish our goal of building the world’s first 3D printed launch vehicle will be a key objective.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
To support our mission to reimagine the way rockets are built and flown you will be working with our Flight Software team in order to create highly reliable and performance optimized software that controls every aspect of the launch vehicle, from GNC and engines, to thrust vector actuators and pressure transducers. This means that you will be leading a team that will need to work well across functions within other organizations in the company to understand requirements and plan milestones.
Your overall objective will be to grow a team that is capable of building a software product that can take us to first flight and set us up to build more complex and feature rich launch vehicles. Lastly, it will be key to understand good practices around continuous integration and testing, and building software infrastructure that allows the team to move fast on top of stable foundations.
You have ideally built software teams in fast-paced environments with rapid growth. You will be growing this team from day one, and so having strong experience in recruiting and identifying technical leaders whom you can empower to move quickly and mentor others is key. This role will require you to make regular decisions about prioritization to make sure your team’s goals align well with the company. You are also capable of providing technical feedback for design decisions and perform the role of “tie-breaker” when needed.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
In order to be successful in this role, you should have the following:
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science or related technical field and 5+ years of experience in software development
- 3+ years of experience in a software management role
- Experience with career development and performance management
- Experience with Python, C++, and/or other object-oriented languages
- Experience managing the software release lifecycle for a team delivering multiple products
- Familiarity with maintenance and deployment of micro-services to the cloud
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- Master’s in Computer Science or related technical field and 7+ years of experience in software development
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary environments
- Experience with publisher-subscriber design pattern
- Experience with time-series databases and visualization tools
- Experience in software for launch vehicles
- Experience designing and building real-time control systems
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.