Manager of Power Electronics
The Power Electronics division is responsible for conceptualizing, designing, building, and testing the electrical power components in the Hyperloop system. These components include variable frequency drives for propulsion and levitation, energy storage systems, charging systems, wiring and cable assemblies, and the associated control hardware and control algorithms. We are seeking a power electronics manager at our Los Angeles facility to join our diverse, experienced team in designing power electronics and battery systems for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth.
The Manager of Power Electronics will:
• Lead conceptualization, analysis, design, and prototype testing on power electronics converters, including semiconductor modules, gate drivers, capacitors, magnetics, heatsinks, bus bars, harmonics/EMI filters, and associated PCB circuities.
• Lead power electronics converters requirements definition, performance and cost trade-off analysis.
• Lead failure mode effect analysis of power electronics systems
• Lead definition of design verification test plans and standards compliance test plans. Ensure power electronics systems are tested to industrial standards.
• Work with internal teams and external vendors to iterate and optimize designs.
• Develop product development plan, milestones, costing, and scheduling.
• Prioritize, disseminate and ensure timely completion of engineering tasks
• Build and maintain technical competency in the power electronics electrical engineering team. Responsible for interviewing, hiring, employee career development, performance review, and resolving conflicts.
The candidate must have product engineering experience in high power power electronics converter design. They must be able to develop simple design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment.
In addition, the candidate must possess the following characteristics:
• Team oriented: you are comfortable and energized by working in a team with a wide variety of backgrounds and skillsets. You welcome constructive feedback and different perspectives. You desire to truly understand the goals and needs of your teammates.
• Dynamic and creative: you thrive in a fast-paced environment where several interdependent technologies are being developed simultaneously. You welcome the challenge of generating ideas and performing analysis based on inputs and requirements that are subject to change.
• Ability to make decisions, and effectively lead tasks and meet challenging deadlines
• Experience developing a product from concept to production
• Excellent problem-solving skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to understand and interpret a variety of abstract and concrete variables and provide solutions to difficult problems
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
• Hands-on experience with powertrain inverter (> 100 kW) and onboard power electronics systems development for transportation applications, e.g., electric vehicles
• Track-record of bringing onboard power electronics products from concept to market.
• Experience with powertrain inverter and onboard power electronics standards compliance and product certification testing.
• Strong technical knowledge and skills in power electronics, including semiconductors, passive components, filter design. Able to provide technical guidance to team members on what, why, and how.
• Thorough understanding of power electronics supply chain and manufacturing processes.
• Strong managerial and planning skills. Experience of leading a team.
• 5+ years experience in high power inverter development.
• Familiar with power electronics components and converter systems testing
• Familiar with gate driver and sensor circuit board design for high power converters.
• Familiar with circuit simulation software, such as Matlab/Simulink, SPICE software, Saber, Simplorer, etc.
• Experience with finite element analysis.
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.