Team and Role Overview
Relativity is creating the first autonomous rocket factory. Our vision is to build the future of humanity in space – starting with rockets. We have an ambitious mission, and we understand that it takes a team to achieve it. This is why we are growing and looking for team members to join us that feel just as excited and driven to accomplish something that has not been done before, together.
We are looking for a Manager of Manufacturing Engineering who will lead the team that manufactures Relativity’s hardware and defines the processes to do so. You will be responsible for piece parts and assemblies and will ultimately define how product’s flow throw through the facility. You will have the opportunity to set the tone for Manufacturing at Relativity—building the inaugural team, defining the processes, and establishing interdepartmental relationships needed to accomplish that goal. The Manager will play a critical role in both the introduction and scaling of Relativity’s launch vehicle production.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
- Lead the company’s team of Structures, Propulsion, Avionics, and Factory Development Manufacturing Engineers. Lay the foundation for how hardware gets built and processed at Relativity. Hardware and process ownership will include the following:
- Structures: primary structures post-processing, trim/drill, circumferential welding, and mechanical assembly.
- Propulsion: tube and duct manufacturing, precision cleaning, and integrated assembly.
- Avionics: harness manufacturing and integrated assembly.
- Factory Development: facility layout development, workcenter development, material distribution, and process improvements.
- Drive the first vehicle build campaign through design integration, assembly sequencing, mBOM development, and build and test work order creation. Be the steadfast champion for DFM early.
- Establish the inaugural discipline-specific work centers by considering manufacturing operations, tooling and capital equipment requirements, and rate targets.
- Develop strong working relationships with Supply Chain, Engineering, Integration, and Production teams to ensure all company objectives can be met.
- Accountable for both the strategic and tactical vision for manufacturing. Architect Relativity’s Manufacturing Engineering roadmap and execute on defined deliverables.
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Bachelor of Science degree in aerospace, mechanical, or manufacturing engineering.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience building and/or testing hardware in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience leading or managing a team of engineers.
- Extensive experience interfacing with design engineering, manufacturing, and production personnel.
- Working knowledge of rocket subsystems including structures, propulsion, and avionics.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- 3+ years leading cross-disciplinary manufacturing engineers.
- New product introduction of an aerospace hardware system into a manufacturing, test, and production system with proven success.
- Well-versed in process development and first-time manufacturing efforts.
- Highly organized and able to provide structure and direction to the previously undefined.
- Self-starter that has demonstrated the ability to define and own a process from scratch and roll out that process through adept communication to a diverse team.
- Self-aware and able to influence others outside of your organization, including those in Engineering, Supply Chain, Production, and Integration.
- Working knowledge of typical manufacturing execution systems and quality management systems.
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.