Manager II - Design Engineering (Machine & Tooling)
Greater LA Area
As the Machine and Tooling Design Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for managing all aspects of the Machine and Tooling Design Team at Virgin Hyperloop One (VHO). You'll be required to manage internal and external expectations as they relate to Electrical Design, Industrial Controls and Machine Design elements for automated machine design, test rig design, prototype “one-off” machine design and test support equipment. This includes integration of technical systems, staffing plans, fiscal planning, resource and project planning and reporting. In this role, you will be required to interact with engineering resources within the Core Engineering Organization and the Product Development and Systems Engineering organizations as required. In addition, you'll also be accountable for Process and Procedural Development including continuous improvement activities.
As the Manager of Machine & Tooling Design Engineering, you will:
- Provide effective leadership and manage employee and organizational expectations
- Develop, execute and manage comprehensive design and build programs including safety, commissioning, maintenance and end of life procedures. This includes both short- and long-term project deliverables
- Manage, review and provide guidance on Electrical and Mechanical design programs, sourcing strategies and alternate technologies and methods if applicable
- Be accountable for delivering “turn-key” solutions that meet program requirements
- Develop a team of world class Machine Design engineers to support current and future programs
- Mentor direct reports on “Best Practices” and Engineering Principles
- Develop fiscal and project specific budget plans. Provide regular updates on spend, budgetary adjustments and justifications for new capital requirements
- Work with the Product Development Engineering team and other stakeholders to develop project requirements and scope of work
- Work closely with the Engineering Project Management Office to ensure schedules, risks and issues are consistent and up to date
- Establish and maintain a safe, collaborative and team-oriented work environment.• Maintain familiarity with the changing technical landscape and seek to implement new methods and technologies where relevant
- Perform other duties as assigned
The candidate for this role must exhibit Leadership abilities and a capacity to work openly and collaboratively with others throughout the VHO organization. The individual must be capable of working to management established milestones and deadlines and be able to make decisive decisions.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science in a relevant Engineering Discipline and/or 10+ years of experience with a focus on integrated machine design
- Strong understanding of integrated machine systems, machine technology and engineering design processes and reporting
- Strong management skills with 8 years of managing multi-disciplined high performing teams
- Strong communication, presentation and technical writing skills
- Budget planning and reporting
- Strong experience managing machine design-focused teams
- Background in Electrical and Mechanical design and integration
- Project Management Experience utilizing Microsoft Project or similar software platform.
- Track record of working and collaborating across multiple engineering disciplines and facilities
- Experience managing teams at multiple sites
- Experience using PLM / PDM software such as Teamcenter
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Read Full Job Description