Manager of High Voltage Battery Systems
The Manager of High Voltage (HV) Battery Systems falls under the Power Electronics division at Hyperloop One and is at the forefront of innovative power and energy systems. We are seeking candidates at our Los Angeles facility to lead battery systems development for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth. The Manager of HV Battery Systems is responsible for delivering advanced HV battery packs for Hyperloop applications from initial design concept through full volume production. The HV battery systems team with work closely with the mechanical engineering, control, propulsion, and pod teams to define requirements and perform cross-functional trades.
The Manager of High Voltage Battery Systems will:
- Lead battery cell selection, cell characterization, and develop operation strategies that satisfy system performance and cost trade off.
- Lead advanced BMS design and algorithms development to estimate state of charge, state of health, and dynamic power limits.
- Lead safety and failure mode effect analysis for HV battery systems.
- Lead definition of performance verification test plans, safety verification test plans, and standards compliance test plans.
- Work with manufacturing team and external manufacturers to optimize DFM/DFC and to develop quality control plan.
- Develop product development plan, milestones, budgets, and scheduling.
- Develop roadmaps for future projects and products to continuously advance HV battery pack performance.
- Build and maintain technical competency in the HV battery systems engineering team. Provide technical guidance and leadership.
The candidate must have product engineering experience in high voltage battery system design. They must be able to develop simple design solutions to complex problems and thrive in a team environment.
In addition, the candidate must possess the following characteristics:
- A strategist and a tactician: you can quickly establish trust with leaders and bring insightful communication counsel; you can map out comprehensive communication strategies and then roll your sleeves up to execute
- Team oriented: you’re a flexible collaborator who makes it safe for others to provide you with feedback and different perspectives; you desire to truly understand your teammates goals and needs.
- You demonstrate deep understanding of messaging, positioning and stakeholder needs; you wield the editorial scalpel judiciously, leaving texts healthier than you found them
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Direct experience on HV battery modules and packs design and integration for passenger transportation applications, e.g., passenger vehicles or airplanes.
- Expereince with battery module and pack BMS development
- Cross-domain (electrochemical, thermal, electrical, electronics, structural) technical knowledge and hands-on experience with lithium-ion battery systems. Able to provide technical guidance to team members on what, why, and how. Able to troubleshoot battery system issues.
- Thorough understanding of battery pack components, supply chain, and system level manufacturing processes.
- Strong managerial, planning, and communication skills. Experience of leading a team.
- 5+ years experience in large HV battery pack (> 50 kWh) development.
- Track-record of bringing battery packs from concept to market.
- Experience with battery cell electrochemistry and custom cell development
- Experience with battery systems safety, standards compliance, and product certification.
- Familiar with electrical circuit / control simulation software, such as Matlab/Simulink.
- Familiar with battery thermal models, analysis and/or computational fluid analysis
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.
We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.