Manager of High Voltage Battery Systems
Job Title: Manager of High Voltage (HV) Battery Systems
Location: Arts District, Los Angeles
Culture & Perks:
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Free lunch & snacks every day
- Unlimited vacation
- Flexible schedules
- Creative work environment
- Paid maternity & paternity leave
- Diverse & open-minded people
The Manager of High Voltage (HV) Battery Systems falls under the Power Electronics division at Hyperloop One and is at the forefront of innovative power and energy systems. We are seeking candidates at our Los Angeles facility to lead battery systems development for one of the most challenging transportation applications on Earth. The Manager of HV Battery Systems is responsible for delivering advanced HV battery packs for Hyperloop applications from initial design concept through full volume production. The HV battery systems team with work closely with the mechanical engineering, control, propulsion, and pod teams to define requirements and perform cross-functional trades.
The Manager of HV Battery Systems will: • Lead battery cell selection, module and pack designs that satisfy system level functional objectives, including life time, safety, weight and volume, etc.
- Lead advanced BMS design and algorithms development to estimate state of charge, state of health, and dynamic power limits.
- Lead failure mode effect analysis for HV battery systems.
- Lead definition of design verification test plans, qualification/acceptance test plans, and standards compliance test plans. Ensure HV battery packs are tested to industrial standards.
- Work with manufacturing team and external manufacturers to optimize DFM/DFC and to develop quality control plan.
- Develop product development plan, milestones, budgets, and scheduling.
- Stay abreast of the latest trends and technologies. Develop roadmaps for future projects and products to continuously advance HV battery pack performance.
- Build and maintain technical competency in the HV battery systems engineering team. Provide technical guidance and leadership.
THE CANDIDATE: • A strategist and a tactician: you can quickly establish trust with leaders and bring insightful communication counsel; you can map out comprehensive communication strategies and then roll your sleeves up to execute
• Team oriented: you’re a flexible collaborator who makes it safe for others to provide you with feedback and different perspectives; you desire to truly understand your teammates goals and needs.
• You demonstrate deep understanding of messaging, positioning and stakeholder needs; you wield the editorial scalpel judiciously, leaving texts healthier than you found them
Minimum Required Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in relevant engineering discipline (i.e. - Electrical Engineering, Physics, etc.)
- Direct experience on HV battery systems design and integration for passenger transportation applications, e.g., passenger vehicles or airplanes.
- Familiar with different battery pack BMS systems
- Experience with battery systems safety, standards compliance, and product certification.
- Cross-domain (electrochemical, thermal, electrical, electronics, structural) technical knowledge and hands-on experience with lithium-ion battery systems. Able to provide technical guidance to team members on what, why, and how. Able to troubleshoot battery system issues.
- Thorough understanding of battery pack components, supply chain, and system level manufacturing processes.
- Strong managerial, planning, and communication skills. Experience of leading a team
WHO WE ARE
We’re a privately-held company out to reinvent transportation to eliminate the barriers of time and distance and unlock vast economic opportunities. Our mission is to have operational systems by 2021 that validate our ability to design, finance and build a safe, revolutionary transportation technology that scales. We were founded in June 2014. We currently have 250 employees and growing. We work out of our Innovation Campus in Los Angeles, CA; our Test & Safety Site in North Las Vegas, NV; our manufacturing facility in North Las Vegas, NV; and Regional Offices in Dubai, London, and Finland.
We are led by Chairman, Richard Branson, CEO, Rob Lloyd; Chief Technology Officer, Josh Giegel; and Chief Financial Officer, Axel Martinez. Learn more about the team here. Our key investors include: DP World, Sherpa Capital, 137 Ventures, Summa Group, Virgin Group, Formation 8, SNCF, GE Ventures, Zhen Fund, Fast Digital, and OurCrowd.com.
Visit www.hyperloop-one.com to learn more.
- Innovate, Test, build - for good
- Driven by challenge
- Excellence through diversity & collaboration
- Designed for sustainability
- Safe, reliable, credible
- Get stuff done
- Insatiable Curiosity
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation.